Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Piena di Napoli

Posted by Karlieb 6b SEKansas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 22:09

Has anyone ever grown this? I couldn't find much info online but I ordered it anyway from Pinetree because it sounded interesting to me and I wanted some moschata to (hopefully) survive SVB though they love leaving eggs on it anyway.

There was no mention of vine size, but I transplanted the starts I grew in mid-April (warm Spring) and it's already traveled halfway across my yard and the leaves are 'ginormous'. I already love this plant just because of its massiveness and pretty leaves.

Here is a pic of the guy two weeks ago with my hand as a reference (I'm 6'2" and have not small hands):

Piena di Napoli

Since then it has sent out two runners and I have piled some soil beneath some nodes so that it can root; the base of the plant in the raised bed 8 miles away won't be able to supply this monstrous beast all the way to the ends.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Piena di Napoli

Very impressive. What is it?

o

Whoops, sorry.

I think it's a kind of butternut?

Here is a picture of somebody holding the fruit:

Some folks say the squash yield 5 lbs fruit, some say 25-40. I have no idea what I'm getting as I saw my first female flower bud today, but it's already yellowing so I think it's only thinking about maybe fruiting.

o

I hope you have a BIG garden!

o

I think the garden's big enough. And I have plenty of lawn to remove for it to play in too.

Apparently the fruit is 4-5 pounds when you use it as summer squash but some people say it's still tender as a 'zucchini' up to 15 pounds.

The vines travel 20-30 feet and this cooking site says they reach 20-35 pounds and one guy entered one into a contest that was 74 pounds.

Some sites also refer to it as "Long of Naples" while others refer to them separately and Dave's Garden (won't link to them) has a profile page for both. That's not confusing at all.

Here's to hoping the SVB can't kill this thing.

Here is more info from a cooking site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Piena di Napoli

o

Here's the translation:

piena = adj. full, brimful, full up, filled, replete, fraught; solid, big; plump, chubby

Jim

o

Here's the translation:

piena = adj. full, brimful, full up, filled, replete, fraught; solid, big; plump, chubby

Jim

o

I seem to have a knack for double posting. :-(

Jim

o

I know how that feels, Jim. ;)

And if I'd only tried google translate, I wouldn't have thought "piena" meant "pumpkin" all this time. Hoorah for assuming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here