Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boochi1

New to gardening,please need knowledge on Onion,brocolli,orka

boochi1
14 years ago

Hi,

I have tons of questions that are making me crazy,but couldnt find complete answers online,hence posting for your advice..

(a) I brought some onions seedlings in trays,from K-Mart,It said on the tray,Spanish onions,spreading type,plant 10 cm apart.

Now, what dose spreading mean?

Its june in michigan is there still time to get onion bulbs out of this grass kind of things with little root on the bottom.

If no,Can i save them for fall,How can i use them other that using them as greens.

(b) After buying 7 inch high borcolli seedlings, i read online

that they are cold weather crop,is there any point planting them in garden now,or could i use my small available garden space better by not using them..

However,If i can plant that brocolli,is it okie if i plant it in one foot distance from Tomato plant,will there be problems to tomato because of spacing..MY soil is rich and i'm fertilising.

(c) Are OKRA plants companions to tomatoes, I read they are companions of Eggplant,pepper,i do have some spcae for okra near eggplants peppers but it will be close to tree root,do okra need more than 7 inches of well tilled soil..

Thank you so much for reading,any experince you have will give me some peace.

Comments (6)

• skinnyhoops
    14 years ago

I can answer this for (c) since I've grown okra here in Florida. They do need more than 7 inches. I remember when I started some okra seeds in 3" high lil pots to see how fast they germinated. In 4 days the roots were peaking out of the drain holes, keep in mind I'm zone 9b and this was in the summer time.

Get some cheap 5 gallon paint mixing buckets from HomeDepot, $2-3 dollars each. Drill some drain holes and only grow 2 plants per bucket. With the right sun exposure and nutrient health, its very effective. 3 buckets with 2 plants each should produce a nice harvest.

• josie23
    14 years ago

It is pretty late for onions. If they were mine I would get them in the ground now, and use them for green onions. You won't get much size out of them for storage. Onions should be planted as early in the season as possible. I did mine around Apr 15 this past year.

I have planted onions (bulbs not plants) in August for late fall green onions and left some to overwinter. Sometimes they survive and sometimes they don't. This past year they did and I have been using them for green onions since the end of April. My onions planted in April are just now ready for eating green.

Just keep in mind that onions will try to go to seed next year, so if any do overwinter, you will want to eat them early because they won't be good for storage, no matter how large they get.

Go ahead and put the broc in too. There is no reason to try to save for next year. The first brocc you get may be bitter if its really warm outside, but keep harvesting so it keeps producing side shoots, eventually the weather will cool and the brocc will taste better. Brocc will surivive the first light frosts of fall, so you should have plenty of time for harvesting.

There is a great book called Carrots Love Tomatoes that is all about companion planting. I think Tomatoes & Okra will do fine together.

• neohippie
    14 years ago

I can answer this for (c) since I've grown okra here in Florida. They do need more than 7 inches. I remember when I started some okra seeds in 3" high lil pots to see how fast they germinated. In 4 days the roots were peaking out of the drain holes, keep in mind I'm zone 9b and this was in the summer time.

...but planting them in the ground is not the same as planting them in a little pot, even if the ground is only tilled down a few inches. I think gardeners underestimate how easily plant roots can find their way around obstacles like rocks and tree roots.

Personally, I see tilling as being more to make it easier for the gardener to plant things than for the plants to grow. I used to do the double-digging thing but it just didn't seem to make enough difference for how much work it was. Anyway, I digress, but I think 7 inches is deep enough to get most any veggie plants started, and let the plant do the rest of the work. The only exception I can think of would be things like carrots where you're trying to grow a long, straight root.

As for the rest of your questions, I don't know much about where you live, but it seems kind of weird to be planting okra and broccoli at the same time. That certainly wouldn't be ok for my area, since okra likes it HOT and brocolli likes cool weather. Here, broccoli would get bitter and bolt in okra weather, and okra would rot in broccoli weather.

Maybe where you live is different, but maybe you should double-check on that.

• m_lorne
    14 years ago

Some types of broccoli are very resitant to bolting in the heat, but planting it now is probably asking for trouble. If you are going to plant it out as an experiment, I wouldn't put it that close to the tomato. No sense in crowding the tomato (and thereby limiting it's growth) with a plant that probably won't come to anything. Go out and get some broccoli seeds to start in mid July for planting out in early August. Fall broccoli is much easier.

• boochi1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys for getting in my shoes and sharing your thoughts,Now i certainly know,onions have no chance of forming bulbs,i'll put them closer and save space,and add Okra in that well tilled space,and move brocolli to around the tree area where it is shady but has not much root depth,that would make it close to tomato plant but would give tomato 2 or 3 foot of space.

Well there is always one more problem and that is,i'm afraid if Okra is too close to edge (where onion curently is)since it has things that hurt,toddlers(mine and neighbours) might try to grab it and get hurt..sigh..Well will let you all know what materialised..
    thanks again guys.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

Neohippie, I was interested to read your take on tilling. I kept meaning to till and didn't get around to it. It was getting so late in the season, I stuck the plants in anyway. My ground is very hard packed, it was hard for me to even dig a big enough hole for the plants. I hope the roots find their way down. My biggest problem, I think, is that the roots don't get enough oxygen when it rains. I think they would do better if I had tilled and mixed in some big pieces of mulch, so that there would be air pockets.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living