Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Root maggots

CaraRose
9 years ago

Ugh, so I've got root maggots in my turnips. It's not a bad infestation but I found a few in my harvested turnips. I just cut the bad parts out and used the rest. I didn't have these guys last year

I've still got more turnips in the bed that are not large enough to harvest yet. Is there anything I should do at this point? I also have kales and collards nearby, do I need to worry about them?

I also have beets, onions, and carrots in that bed. Those wouldn't be effected by these guys, right? I know carrots and onions can get their own root maggots, but it's a different type of fly?

Anything in particular I should do with this bed after harvesting to treat the soil?

Comments (8)

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    9 years ago

Once I got brassica root maggots, I could not get rid of them. :-( I had to quit growing turnips. I had tons of them - multiples in every root, though, much worse than you describe. Many people swear by floating row covers, which I have not been able to work out in my garden. I did have some success knocking the population back by about 70% with a thorough soil drench of neem, and was grateful to find twice as many earthworms in the same soil the following year. While I still can't grow turnips, I've been able to grow kale and radishes, only losing about 5% of the radishes.

I have been able to grow onions and carrots without any problems - you're right, a different breed of fly. No one in my family likes beets, so I have no insight to offer you there. Good luck!

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:( Well, that's depressing. We love turnips too.

What's the rate of soil drench for Neem? I have heard it has systemic effects, but is that only if used as a soil drench? I was thinking I may want to drench my collards and kale.

• tcstoehr
    9 years ago

I lost most of my cauliflowers this year to root maggots. My Brussels Sprouts were also affected but considerably less so. My Collards and Kale seem untouched and are growing like gangbusters with no wilting issues. So maybe your Kale and Collards will be OK. If they are wilting on mild days, you might have a problem.

• clr20422
    8 years ago

I discovered root maggots (at least from what I've read) when I was thinning out my radishes. I had to get rid of all of them as all were infected. I also have broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, and beets (4 foot garden) and am concerned as to how to get rid of these pests and not ruin the whole garden. Everything I've read indicates that I have to do something to the soil BEFORE I plant (too late now). Any ideas for me (garden newbie). Thanks in advance.

• galinas
    8 years ago

I plant turnips and cabbages under tulle cover - it helps, if planted NOT in the same spot where you had any brassica planted last year.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Beneficial nematodes applied to the soil eliminates them too.

dave

• dclasikwashington
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

A few suggestions you can apply to get rid of root maggots.

1. Use diatomaceous earth at the base of seedlings

2. Rotate crops each season

3. Place protective coverings over transplants or seedlings

4. Use cotton or waterproof discs to protect plants

5. Use biological control methods via parasitic wasps or rove beetles

• fbx22
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Onions and carrots are likely ok. Cabbage maggots mainly invade Cole crops. I'vee never had them bother my kale though. If your brocoli and Brussels sprouts are large enough they can usually fight off cabbage maggots. Cabbage maggots are my biggest garden adversary. Grow red cabbage and plant your Cole crops a week or 2 later next year. The 5 above preventatives can help but I've found nothing to be full proof. I use #1 2 and 4 from th above list as well as yellow sticky traps to catch some flies and also spray the with 3 in 1 garden safe spray as an extra deterrent to get flies from landing on th plants