Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Planter Soil?

Posted by sunflower1237 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 23:34

Since the previous owners of this house filled the backyard with gravel, sand, and weed block fabric, we decided that raised planters would be the best option for extending our kitchen garden. There was a 6'x36' area that they had landscaped that I was able to turn into a nice little garden.

What kind of soil mixture should we fill the raised planters with? Should we find some fill dirt and mix it with garden soil and compost? Or should we fill it with moisture control potting soil?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Planter Soil?

In part it is going to depend on the size-depth of the raised planters and if they have bottoms or if they are like raised beds with no bottoms.
The concern in any kind of container is drainage. You don't want to use garden soil in any type of container-instead I would use something specifically labeled for container plants. Miracle grow makes a potting mix specifically for container vegetables which I would mix with a cheap potting soil.

o

Hi,
Please watch the (9) short video's on building raised beds,you don't need to go to the same expense I did,but you'll get great tips and answers to other questions

My soil is Aged Steer Manure,Decomposed Granite,Clay,Pumice,Leaf and Grass Compost

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Raised Beds by Jon (see all 9 short videos ;-)

o

Mel's Mix, from Square Foot Gardening:

a mixture of
1/3 compost
1/3 peat moss
1/3 coarse vermiculite (no dirt needed)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here