Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 10 Sweet Corn and Other August Planting

Posted by thowell01 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 0:05

We just cleared out an additional three 4x4 raised beds. Is it too late to plant sweet corn in zone 10 (Southern California)? Also, the garden stores around here still have cucumber, zucchini, and pepper seedlings. Will I still get a crop out of those if I plant them this weekend?

We've had lots of tomatoes, and I have some watermelon that should be ready soon. What else can I do this summer?

--TWH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 10 Sweet Corn and Other August Planting

I'll be planting corn from today all the way until the second week of September (I live in Southern Nevada outside of Las Vegas). You should be able to get a crop of corn if you plant them this weekend.

Greg
Nevada

o

I've planted as late as Aug 11 last year. The corn does seem to get smaller as it is planted later. It tasseled with about two less leaves. I believe this is in response to shorter days. Greg, I'm wondering if you've seen this with your late plantings? In zone 10 I'd plant a corn that gets some size to counteract the day length effect.

o

I am just starting my second planting of the Season now. Two separate areas for Mirai 308 and a space away for Xtra-Tender 270A. I am up in the San Jose area where for the next 3 months, we have our warmest temps of the year.

Raybo

o

fruitnut - Yes because of the shorter day length my plants will be a little shorter but by how much I really don't know. I haven't really paid attention. We have really good luck with fall plantings of corn and many other vegetables, if fact fall - winter and spring are busy times around here.

Greg
Nevada

o

Well, after a trip to the nursery, I decided to plant Early Sunglow. It doesn't sound like the most interesting option, and the ears are small, but it is supposed to be ready to harvest in 63 days. I would have rather gone with one of the other, larger varieties, but I might have missed the harvest due to travel.

I planted a 4x4 block. I hope it does well. =)

--TWH

o

Good luck to you TWH, I'm sure that everything will turn-out fine. There's not much better than home grown corn picked fresh and thrown in the pot.

Greg
Nevada

o

I'm now 3.5 weeks in to my corn. Unfortunately, out of the 16 squares that I planted, only 11 came up. I'm surprised that I ended up with so many empty squares; I planted three seeds per square. I'm concerned that I will have problems with pollination. Is there anything I can do to ensure that the 11 plants are pollinated well and produce full ears? Here's a diagram that shows the layout. Xs are squares with a viable plant; Os are empty

XOXX
XXOX
XXOX
XXOO

Thanks in advance,

--TWH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here