Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wjb2

I think my garlic is ready to harvest.... now what do I do?!

WJB2
9 years ago

This is my 1st time growing garlic and I don't know if I'm supposed to stop watering while they're still below the soil. I have them in a planter box, not in the ground. I live in Southern CA and planted in early November. I was away for the 1st 2 weeks of July and although someone was watering the garden for me, I wonder if I missed the exact right time to harvest. When I left the leaves were still green,and standing upright. When I got back I see they're brown and droopy. It could be that they're ready, or it could be that the planter box didn't get enough watering, I don't know. As far as I know they never did flower at all.

Assuming they're ready to harvest I'm not sure what to do now. Do I leave them planted for 2 weeks without watering and then remove them from the soil and keep in indirect sunlight? Or do I remove them from the soil now, even though they've been gettng regular watering up until now and keep them in indurect sunlight for about 2 weeks? Also there's really nowhere that I can leave them outside where they won't be in at least some direct sun at any given point of the day so can I leave them in the garaga? With the doors closed or should at least 1 door be left open?

Before anyone asks, I have no idea which variety of garlic I planted. I bought a big bag of garlic at Costco and just took a bulb and separated the cloves and planted them. I had and still have no idea if this worked but I'm anxious to find out! Thanks for any help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner