Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatillo recipe ideas

Posted by AiliDeSpain 6a - Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 0:29

Been harvesting lots of tomatillos, besides fresh use what can I do with them? I just froze a bunch in anticipation of finding a good tomatillo canning recipe. Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatillo recipe ideas

I've only grown them for a couple of years and have only made sauce, which I'll be freezing this year if I get enough (I planted 6 plants)
What do you do with them fresh? Nancy

o

Has anyone experimented with making a pasta sauce with tomatillos? I planted my first 5 plants this year and have quite a few. I am toying with the idea of making a pasta sauce using tomatillos, tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil and a small amount of hot pepper. My thoughts are to saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil, add the chopped tomatillos and then add the other ingrediants and simmer until done. Any suggestions?

o

salsa!

o

If you haven't already, cross post this in the "Harvest" forum. I am impressed with all of their creative ideas over there, and of course all of their excellent canning advice!

o

Pork chile verde or chicken chile verde (there are also crock pot recipes for this). We keep bags of tomatillos in the freezer for making this in the winter. So good!

o

I've cut them up and used them in a stir fry. Zucchini, onion/scallion and tomatillo make a nice combination. Add chopped tomato or tomato sauce for a nice mix. I either add soy sauce or herbs, depending on what I crave.

o

In the Food forum, someone makes enchiladas using salsa verde made with tomatillos...you might want to ask there or do a search in that forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here