Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athenian_gw

How much shade can cucumbers tolerate?

Athenian
10 years ago

I'm getting ready to set out a second SWC with cucumbers and I'm not sure where to put them. Last year, I put out a second set at the beginning of August and they didn't do well in the heat. I had hoped to start my cucumbers earlier this year but life got away from me.

So now I am thinking of placing this container in a shadier spot and was wondering just how much shade they can take.

Comments (5)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In Zone 10B, probably cucumber would appreciate some shade instead of midday/afternoon direct sun. I think 4 to 6 hours of DIRECT sun then indirect/defused light in hot climates is enough for cucumbers. The thing about cucumber is that you don't want its fruits to mature and ripen. In the cool and some shade they will be more tender.
    JMO

• throughtheforest
    10 years ago

You can absolutely grow cucumbers in partial shade in 10b. I'm in 9b and mine are thriving in under a growing canopy of corn. I think most plants that may prefer "full sun" in other zones really appreciate a little shade in zones like ours.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Even in zone 4 Cucumbers can do ok in part shade. Mine only get about 5-6 hours of direct sun, They dont produce as well as they might, but its what I have for them, and I get enough to eat.

• Athenian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't really have a lot of choice for places that are not in full sun 10-12 hours a day and ended up putting the container in an area that is shaded in the morning and early afternoon with direct sun in the late afternoon.

It's not ideal but after seeing what our recent 4 day heat wave did to my existing cucumbers, and seeing my experience poor wilted plants through almost all of last September, I think I need to try something different this year.

• Teija Nelson
    5 years ago

In Arkansas, I am finding more and more vegetables that do better with morning sun and afternoon shade. Just too much hot too long in full sun.