Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants eating corn

Posted by liz_h 7/8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 0:43

I got this email from a friend, and hope you can help.

---------"I'll make you a trade - some seed for good information on "how" to identify "when" the corn is ready. I thought it would be ready today, and when I checked, the ants had had a feast I had planned!"---------

I sent him some general info, but I'm curious. Did the ants just beat him to the corn, or do they indicate a problem of some kind? I'll be planting this in a few weeks and hope not to have the same problem myself. My friend grows this on his community garden plot, so probably doesn't see it more often than once or twice a week.

--------------
Here's the info I sent him from http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/easygardening/sweetcorn/sweetcorn.html

Harvesting

The best time to pick corn is in the early morning or evening when it is cool. Juice from the kernels should be milky white and soft.

The silk on the ears should have turned dark brown. The ears should be firm. Kernels on the tips of the unhusked ears should be plump and milky.

Sweet corn is not ready when the juice of the kernel is watery. It is overripe when the kernels get large, chewy and pasty like dough.

To harvest the ears, hold the stalk below the ear. Twist the tip of the ear toward the ground until it breaks off. Cook the corn right away, or store it in the refrigerator until mealtime.

Watch the corn closely because the quality changes fast. Corn is ready about 3 weeks after the tassel grows on top of the corn plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants eating corn

• Posted by shot 8 - GA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 7:16

Liz, sounds like jam-up info to me.

Shot

o

I've only grown corn once, but I had what I thought was an ant problem. What I had was an aphid problem, compounded by ants. The ants were herding/protecting the aphids who were eating the corn. The ants were eating the honeydew secreted by the aphids.

Here is a link that might be useful: aphids

o

I've only seen ants on popcorn plants.

Lorna

o

Have you tried mineral oil on the silk to prevent the ants now for aphids just use soapy water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here