Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes fell

Posted by mommomsgarden nj (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 1:17

so i came home today and something had knocked over my entire tomato bed! The tomato trellis was knocked down on its side all the plants bent and limbs broken left and right. Some of them I had to clip off. Will this traumatize my tomato plants? Will they continue to grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes fell

It will traumatize them sure. But tomato plants are famous for their ability to recover and get new growth if no further damage happens. How quickly they come back will all depend on the amount of damage done to each plant.

In the meantime don't feed them and be careful not to over-water them as that would only add more stress.

Good luck.

Dave

o

I have to agree. My 12 tomato plants were shattered by hail 3 weeks ago. The damage was severe. I was sure it was the end of my tomato season, but as Dave said, they came back. I pulled out only 3 plants and the rest sort of just bushed out after having their growing heads chopped off. They now all have buds again and one has set fruit too. So yes this will set them back, but they are most likely to come back.

o

The most important thing is to figure out what happened and prevent a recurrence. When tomatoes get really tall, a strong wind can really work havoc.

o

I think it might be a bunny rabbit! I bought this fence today to surround my veggie beds! Hopefully it doesn't happen again!

o

It could just have been the weight of the tomatoes.

o

mommoms - be sure to bury about 6" of the fence underground in a curved fashion like this:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here