Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Useing round up for veggie gardens

Posted by mitch59 S.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 1:33

Is it true that i can spray RU in my garden spote 2 weeks before i plant to keep down on the weeds? That is what i have heard anyways thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Useing round up for veggie gardens

Yes.

It's out of most soils way before then (a matter of a day in most cases), but 2 weeks is considered universally safe.

I'm only speaking on the classic formulations. I don't know a whole lot of the "new" RU-max or whatever it is that persists for weeks+ forming some kind of chemical barrier. I doubt I'd want to use something like that for more than a sidewalk or driveway, anyway.

o

Here is a copy/paste from an email I received from Scotts regarding the use of Roundup in vegetable gardens.

"We have more than one Roundup formula. While some of our Roundup products are registered for use around edible crops, others are not. If the formula that you are using only has glyphosate/ pelargonic acid as the active ingredients, it may be used in and around edible plants, provided the product does not come in contact with the plant. If the formula you have contains diquat or triclopyr, then it must be used in a manner that insures a sufficient distance, preventing spray from contacting sensitive or edible plants. We do not recommend using the diquat or triclopyr formulations to kills weeds in an existing vegetable garden. Finally, if the product was applied to edibles, we recommend that they not be harvested for at least one year's time."

It's always a good idea to go to the responsible source when there are questions about any kind of pesticide (and herbicides fall into that category.) They are the experts and know that they will be liable if they give out wrong information. I had been seeing a lot of questions about using RU around veggies, so I went to the source.

Sandu

o

Search 'Roundup' on this forum for lots of discussions on its use, good points and bad, in the vegetable garden.

Dave

o
RE: Using round up for veggie gardens

I don't see how a chemical company who states that "...if the product was applied to edibles, we recommend that they not be harvested for at least one year's time." can be described as "responsible".

Definitely do the search digdirt suggests. There are other, safer, ways to accomplish what you desire.

jmo

o
RE: Using round up for veggie gardens

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 11:14

It was said
"I don't see how a chemical company who states that "...if the product was applied to edibles, we recommend that they not be harvested for at least one year's time." can be described as "responsible". "

All chemical companies go through very prolonged and expensive testing for the products they sell.

Some are never tested on edibles, or are tested on edibles and found wanting.

The label always describes appropriate use and application.

Some folks use chemicals -- weed killers in the above instances -- because they know they kill weeds. But those same people often disregard the label which says for "ornamental plants, only" or "not for edibles" and/or other similar statements.

Thus, companies which make the above statement are very responsible.

It's the user that's not.

o

I agree. Keep in mind that companies usually go overboard in their statements just to be on the safe side. Which IMO, is being responsible, because they dont know what kind of idiot is going to pick their product up, misuse it, then sue. Or what if it doesn't biodegrade in two weeks like its supposed to? The company is just trying to cover everything, better safe than sorry.

o

g'day mitch,

can't see that applying that stuff is ever needed, check how we do our beds and then we mulch heavily and weeds are no issue whatsoever.

you can't realy take to heart what a chem' comany or their supporters might say about a product. there has been much said around the 'net that the residue remains in the soil up to 2 years after use. search out some of the discussions previously had in these forums and others, for the main publicity is all negative against the use of it.

i think there was a case of some sort of litigation some years ago against the company that makes the stuff?? something to do with their statement that it is fully bio-degradable and leaves no residue?? you may find it with a google search.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o

Those who have been following gardening issues for years are aware that chemicals come and chemicals go. What is considered "safe" this year if used as directed, is considered the devil's own concoction next year. And when I said go to the "responsible source" I meant the company responsible for making and selling the product. That was not meant to imply any responsible (or irresponsible) actions or policies of the company in question.

Yes, there are less toxic ways to control weeds. But that was not what mitch59 asked. He wanted to know if RU could be sprayed on weeds in an area that was to be planted as a vegetable garden in 2 weeks. That's the question I was trying to answer. Now if he had asked about the best way to control weeds in a potential vegetable bed, then the answer would have been entirely different.

I'm not totally against the use of chemicals. My main point was that if someone is going to use them, then the USER is the responsible party and should be aware of the proper way to use the product. And the company that manufactures it is the best source for that information.

Clearer?

Sandy

o

"Finally, if the product was applied to edibles, we recommend that they not be harvested for at least one year's time."

The only edibles this would apply to is something extreme like eradicating ivy from taking over a fruit tree.

You don't apply RU to any seasonal veggie crop I know of and have it live.

Every word on a bottle of herb/pesticide is the law and they are totally liable for every word on the bottle. This isn't your same area of governance as the shampoo industry or vitamin supplements. They have to cover every base. Environmental law is it's own area of study and practice for a reason...there's a slew of hardcore laws covering stuff like pesticides/herbicides and their exact uses.

o

I only use the stuff on backyard poison ivy! And I even hate using it there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here