Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djkj_gw

What corn variety is this?

djkj
9 years ago

I usually don't like 99% of the corn that we grow just because I find it too sweet. I was at my grocery store and saw this corn variety. When roasted, its soft but not as soft as sweet corn. Its also a little starchy. Its not sweet so it tastes absolutely amazing (to my taste buds :) ) Do you know what corn this is and your growing experiences? Links to seeds would also be helpful

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Looks like it could be Glass Gem or maybe even Hooker's. Many different colored corn varieties and the colors will vary from ear to ear too. So no way to know for sure which it is if it wasn't labeled.

Dave

• djkj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave! I saw Glass Gem and its always sold as "ornamental corn" so I wasnt sure if it was edible. This corn variety, however is very much edible and less sweet (which I prefer to the regular corn). So is Glass Gem edible corn?

• mav72
    9 years ago

I saw some corn like that at the grocery store also.. I thought it was only ornametal also but a bunch of people were buying them.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Glass Gem is a flint corn (hard outer layer) not normally recommended for eating off the cob because of digestive problems. Doesn't mean it will hurt you or that you can't eat it, just that It is primarily used for popcorn, ground up for flour, or used as an ornamental.

As I said, there are many different varieties of multi-colored corn that can't be ID just from one ear. Most are grown as ornamental but are considered edible if picked early enough that it still retains some sugars.

If still tender, try and ear and see if you like it. But to put a name on it would be guesses only.

Dave

• djkj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it was harder than sweet corn but not very hard. Easily chewable. I ate it roasted but if you boil it (pressure cook with salt) I am sure it would be softer.

mav72 - Was it in an Asian Grocery store? I saw it at Zion Market which is an Asian Grocery store here in SoCal.

• mav72
    9 years ago

Hahaha Small word.... Yea it was at Zion Market. It was my first time there and I also took my mom, since she can't drive anywhere far. The last time I was in that building, it was Sears, maybe like five years ago. I tried to go to the original Zion Market before but never could find parking. That veggie section was a mad house I had my doubts taking my shopping cart into the warzone.

• n2xjk
    9 years ago

The variety Triple Play looks like that too. Open pollinated but still a true sweet corn. For maximum sweetness should be picked with less blue showing than in your picture.

Seeds of Change sold it in the past but didn't offer it in 2014.

• djkj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mav72 - Truly a small world :)

n2xjk - Thanks, this one however is not sweet at all. Starchy and not sweet. Somehow I find the "regular" sweet corn like Golden Bantam very sweet, so this variety was a welcome change.