Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsprlee

Maintaining Raised Beds on Asphalt

jsprlee
10 years ago

For those that are familiar with raised beds, or have some knowledge about soil drainage: how should I irrigate my raised beds? (Drip tape/tubing? Watering can? sprinkler?)

Also, since my gardening situation is pretty rare (people rarely seem to raise beds over asphalt), it's been hard to find some good guidelines for what to do. So feel free to offer criticism about my plans, as well as answer questions that I have.

EXTRA INFO:

I plan to plant summer vegetables (I live in Los Angeles if thats any help), such as beans, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. I believe the raised bed will be deep enough for all the vegetables (about 12 inches of soil), but it might affect drainage.

The raised beds are going to be raised above an asphalt lot with bricks, and the soil will be held by a tarp that is stapled to the inside of the raised bed, with many holes on the bottom for drainage (unless this isnt necessary).

Inside the raised bed, we're going to add pea gravel for the bottom layer (to collect water for drainage), soil in the middle (No idea what type of soil), and mulch on the top to conserve water and avoid having weeds.

Currently, I am also planning to use a drip irrigation system, but it may be somewhat difficult to set up, and I am not sure what method best fits with my set-up.

Hopefully this is enough info to determine how to best irrigate/drain my vegetable garden. Thanks for reading, and I would be happy to answer any further questions!

Comments (3)