Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxim1122

Tomatoes are a big fail!

Maxim1122
9 years ago

Hello, this is my first year growing tomatoes.
At first, they started showing signs of blossom end rot (not sure though if it's blossom end rot) on the fruit, and I applied some cold coffee to acidify the soil, about 3 cups already, and a week later still no signs of normal tomatoes, and I know for sure that it's not a problem with calcium in the soil.
Then some of the stems began to get dark brown, and the tomatoes on them took a yellow tint and began to get wrinkles on them.
Is it a disease?
Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Maxim1122
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brown stems, with yellow leaves, beginning to dry..

• Maxim1122
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomatoes get a yellow tint and wrinkles.

• planatus
    9 years ago

What variety are you growing, and is it resistant to fusarium wilt? If the whole plant turned yellow and died just as it loaded up with fruit, fusarium is a good guess.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

I had the same problem last year and attributed it to fusarium wilt and other soil borne deseases that can be limited by crop rotation. I have a small garden so rotation was not really possible. This year I selected only tomato plants that were labled "VFN" or "FN." None of those tomatoes have exhibited probelms, however my wife bought six plants that were not labled VFN or FN and at least two of those plants have started showing the desease.

• mdfarmer
    9 years ago

What area do you live in? It looks like blight to me. You can check with your local extension agency to find out if blight is in your area yet. All my tomato plants look like that by the end of the season, but not until the end of October. I plant some blight resistant varieties (Defiant), and i also spray every week or two with liquid copper or Serenade to control blight.

Blossom end rot is often caused by uneven watering. Or lack of magnesium in the soil can cause problems with calcium absorption.

Did you grow all of the same type of tomato? Do all your plants look like that? You may want to send a soil sample to a lab for an analysis. It's cheaper and easier than most people think. I use A&L Eastern lab, it's around $15 for a soil test, and they're fast. I normally get results the same week i mail in my sample. You can get the results with recommendations for different crops.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

The blossom end rot will most times correct itself. Just pull off the fruit that has it. Then keep the plant evenly watered. Avoid it being way too over watered. Use of some type of fertilizer as instructed on the label should help as well.

Hope things get better for you.

• djkj
    9 years ago

Looks like lack of nutrients in the soil, the leaves look yellow and dry. Overall plant health is lacking. What is your schedule for fertilizing? And how is your watering schedule?

See video link for some tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Growing Tips

• Maxim1122
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got these tomatoes from a huge seed giveaway in January, some kind of beefsteak.. I have couple of those tomatoes planted and some San Marzanos (paste tomato), and the San Marzanos don't experience the problem my beefsteaks are expriencing (excpet for blossom end rot). Definintely not lack of nutrients because I water with compost tea enriched with sea minerals every week. How can I save these plants if it's Fusarium Wilt?
    Thanks for all the answers!

This post was edited by Maxim1122 on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 17:35

• zzackey
    9 years ago

They will not correct themselves. You have blossom end rot, due to lack of calcium. Get a soil test first. Lime should be added a few months before planted and tilled in if reccomended. Uneven watering can cause it too. I just pull those fruits off and toss them on the compost pile. We get alot of rain during the summer here and it throws things off. Also I read to crush up several egg shells and put them around the tomato plants to add calcium.

• garden4lyfe
    9 years ago

All i can say is that this is defiantly a sign of disease.