Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small weird hole in tomato fruits?

Posted by tornadoliese los angeles (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 2:45

does anyone know what is causing this small hole. i saw it today for the first time. is it something that i should effect will bother ALL of my tomato plants and all of their fruit? whatever it is-- how can i get rid of it? these are my first tomatoes ever and i am so happy about them. don't want to lose them to weird holes.

Does anyone know what did this to my tomato plant?  on Twitpic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small weird hole in tomato fruits?

There may be a caterpillar inside the fruit. I would pull and squish to keep it from damaging other fruit or the plant itself.

o

Cut that fruit open to see if it contains a tomato fruit worm, a type of caterpillar. Tomato fruit worms usually bore into the fruit right under the edge of the calyx where the hole can be inconspicuous. Sometimes they will bore into the fruit as shown in your pic however.

Tomato fruit worms are difficult to control in my experience. Do some research and choose a method.

Jim

o

i am going to have to task someone to cutting the tomato open to look for the worm. i'm such a wimp. thanks guys.

o

It could be the early stage of EBR.

o

• Posted by mai (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 15:48

I had the EXACT same thing happen with mine this fall. I cut them open and nothing. no worms... just a perfectly circular hole bored out in my roma tomatoes. First it was just the one hole and then 2 days later it had 3 holes in it, and so did his little neighbors!

Did you ever find out what the cause was? I really want to stop it before it progresses any worse.

o

It appears to be a form of cat-facing. Exact cause is hard to affix. It could be cold weather during pollination, possibly thrip initiated, or simply a genetic flaw. There is some suggestion that over pruning, particularly if dead-heading growing tips, reduces an essential nutrient component. I have found no problem in eating other than the desire to remove the disfigured segment.

Select varieties less prone to cat-facing.

o

• Posted by mai (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 24, 10 at 11:42

I had no idea what cat-facing was, thank you for the suggestion. Of all the pics that i looked up on it they seem to show deformity and lines connecting the holes. Mine does not show this. the holes are very clean and in no way deformed...
P9130060
But it the weather might have dipped down during pollination, which would contribute to it. Read that it can also be caused by high nitrogen and stink bugs as well. I'm using 18-18-21 on it and I have seen a few stink bugs around. I'm just not completely convinced its catfacing atm. I'm glad to be informed about it now at the very least, and I'll keep watching for more signs of it (but hopefully they won't keep happening!).

o

That's fruit worm damage. The caterpillar has already left the fruit.

o

I found the culprit. It is a caterpillar. It was suggested to use 2 Tbls Tabasco to 1 Liter of Water. I am going to try it because there is other damage evident on leaves of my tomato plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here