Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole beans winding around each other.

Posted by nickjoseph 5 Milwaukee, WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 2:49

I've never grown pole beans before, so got 3 plants & 2 metal trellis's. It didn't take long & they were shooting up & gripping onto the trellis. Looking at them closely, I see that they are all wound around each other, braided and what looks like knotted. How can they wind around each other & not choke the life out of each other. I know some of you are reading this and rolling your eyes or laughing. At first I didn't think I would get any flowers since I planted these a month ago & only vines. The person at the garden center says they take a good 60 days. Within the last few days, I am seeing flowers & the little nodules that turn into flowers in various places all over the vines, hidden and out in the open. It should be like a scavenger hunt finding beans, but about the winding around themselves--normal? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole beans winding around each other.

Having them wind around each other isn't an issue.

Rodney

o

It's normal.

o

Sometimes mine wind around each other at the bottom of my trellises, and I try to encourage them (with bungee cords) to climb upwards. If I don't, they spend too much of the season just laying on the ground at the bottom of the trellises.
But no, they don't strangle each other. :)

o

Not laughing, don't worry. This is about a dozen+ pole bean plants all intermingled and twined around each other. On a rare occasion, the plant will wind itself around a bean and that bean is a gonner (not worth the trouble of trying to get it out). But the rest is all fine. Soon you will have yummy beans and become a pole bean groupie like me.

IMG_4052

o

Thanks all. Picture this, "Huge sigh of relief".

o

Good luck Nick! This is a great place to ask lots of gardening questions! It's really great to have around! Good luck with your pole beans!

o

See the link below for some interesting stuff about this on the Bean Forum.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: How Do Pole Beans Climb?

o

Nick, after you have a meal with your fresh beans you will knock yourself on the forehead that you didn't plant more!!!!!LOL
They will grow really high, but I usually make my trellis no more than 5-6 ft high so I can reach them without a stepstool! They will droop down and climb again!
This year, rather than a teepee type structure, we made the structure with the X on the bottom, and the taller parts on top so the beans hang down where I can reach them from the outside. Works great! Nancy

o

No worries. They just love each other. : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here