Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xenography

What type of plant is this??

xeno
10 years ago

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right category but I just got some vegetable plants in through mail order and they threw in a mystery plant (not sure if it was a freebie or a mistake and they haven't got back to me).

Comments (10)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

What are the names of the plants you ordered and also the names that came with the shipment ?

• jcrowder
    10 years ago

It looks like purslane or knotweed. If it's either one, keep it as far from your garden as possible...burn it, drown it, bury it 10 feet deep! Both of those are terribly invasive and will run like crazy. I could be wrong on the I.D. but it sure looks like what I have running down the pathways of my garden.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I don't know what it is but it's not purslane. Purslane looks like a succulent, with fleshy leaves and stems.

Rodney

• florauk
    10 years ago

It appears to be Sweet Woodruff, Galium odoratum.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Woodruff. Unless it is a weed, then it might be cleavers or lady's bedstraw.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

As evident from the latinate, if it's Woodruff, it has a strong scent. Somewhat vanilla-like, I believe. It's a bit odd they throw that in with your order.

• sweetquietplace
    10 years ago

If it's Sweet Woodruff, you can make a tasty syrup with it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Sweet Woodruff.

• florauk
    10 years ago

I have to say I've never been able to detect much smell from Woodruff myself. When dried it has a sweetish hay scent.

It gets mixed reviews. Some view it as a garden thug and others as a useful groundcover for shady places. BTW it is not Cleavers or Lady's Bedstraw, both in the same family but looking different in the leaves.

• jimster
    10 years ago

A rampant, invasive grower. To me, it's a noxious weed.

Jim