Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something eating my pepper plants

Posted by laura1983 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 4:00

It is my first time growing anything, and while my other plants are doing fine, it seems as if something is eating my pepper plants. I already dissected a pepper that had five or six holes similar to the one shown in the picture and nothing was inside. I also cut this one open to show nothing inside. It is also seems as if the leaves are being eaten. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something eating my pepper plants

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There's your pic in a way everyone can see, Laura! Next time, you can copy and paste the "HTML for websites" link from Tinypic, and put it in the message box.

As for what's eating your peppers, goodness, I dunno. Was there anything inside when you cut that one open?

o

Do you have those sow bugs around? They like to eat pepper plants. I used to think they were harmless then I found they were eating my plants one year. They make a powder you can sprinkle around that the bugs love and is fatal to them. Look for sow bug dust at any local store. If they are around try that.
Slugs also do that. Do you have the glossy slug trails on the sidewalks? Take a small bowl of beer and put it out at night. They love beer and drown in it.
Last choice would be caterpillar worms. They are the same green as the plant. You would have to get up at sunrise and check the backs of the leaves to find those. Pick and squish.

o

I haven't noticed any sow bugs, but I'll watch for them. Perhaps I'll try putting out some beer tonight and see if any slugs appear. Thanks for the suggestions!
(And sorry about the super huge picture - I'm new to this!)

o

Well? What did you find out? Any slugs in the beer? Early morning worms?

o

If it was just one hole per pepper I'd say tomato fruitworm (aka corn earworm). They do go for peppers, just not with as much enthusiasm as tomatoes, but six holes per fruit is unusual. They will also do some damage to leaves, but prefer the fruit.

o

Slugs and sow bugs don't eat holes in fruit. Try dusting with BT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here