Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

Misting Chili Plants

chilliwin
10 years ago

Is there any benefit of misting chili plants? I have been misting the chili plants regularly but I really do not know it is benefit to my plants or not. Is there any advantage and disadvantage of misting chili plants?

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

Comments (9)

• greenmulberry
    10 years ago

I haven't ever heard of such a thing, but I am not always up on all the tricks. What are you trying to accomplish?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree. Never heard of anyone misting pepper plants except maybe as very young seedlings. But even that is discouraged because it can lead to all sorts of plant leaf bacterial and fungal diseases. I can't imagine that it would have any advantages.

So can i ask why you are doing it? What is it supposed to accomplish?

Dave

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Green and Dig, I am a new gardener I do not know exactly how and why I do this, so I am looking for information here. Only I have read some growers spray water with Epsom Salt and some foliage fertilizers. I need a lot of correction to grow my plants properly.

The idea of possible bacterial and fungal diseases are very reasonable. Fortunately I do not have any problems yet except the Ghost/Bhut plants. They have some rusty spots on the old leaves. I have been told it won't hurt the plants it happens to their plants too. I think something goes wrong, it is not a normal but it does not give any obvious damage to the plants like other said. Is it possible damage from the misting?

{{gwi:1173816}}

Thank you all for your opinions and questions.

Caelian

Edited for spelling correction.

This post was edited by chilliwin on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 12:12

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Caelian - foliar feeding is a very different thing than misting plants. First because most gardeners don't do it. It is very controversial and millions of gardeners grow peppers quite successfully without ever using any foliar spraying.

Second, it is only done with certain fertilizers that are first very well diluted.

Third, it is normally done only 2-3 times a year at most and then only done when required, when symptoms on the plant require it. And fourth, must be done very carefully and never in the direct sun or in the heat of the day.

It isn't something a new gardener should do without first fully understanding the reasons for it and all the details on how to do it.

Your leaves show signs of some mild fungus disease and no it isn't normal and yes it is very likely a result of the misting so I'd suggest you quit doing it. While it may not kill the plant, it needs to be avoided.

What ever state you live in has a university extension service website with all sorts of excellent, trusted information on how to grow various vegetables. That would be a good place to pick up basic information. Then once you gain some experience you can begin to sort out all the facts from all the fake gardening fiction. :-)

Dave

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Caelian is growing peppers in containers on a rooftop in India

He regularly posts on the Hot Pepper forum

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Caelian: I've seen your plants...And the last pic isn't representative of your plants. Your plants are awesome looking! So whatever you're doing, keep doing it. It seems to work for YOU.

The last pic... I don't know what that is. Are MANY of your plants starting to do this?

Kevin

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

The possibility that the leaf spots are a disease is your warning to stop misting. That is an activity that can not only cause fungus problems but spread it quickly to nearby plants.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, thank you for your time and good advice. I do not have a green house. I was a windowsill gardener then now I have more than 50 chili plants of different varieties. It is a new hobby and very addictive. The climatic condition here is not favorable for growing chili.

Abnorm you are wrong, I help my friend in India we have been trying to introduce roof top gardening over there. I have a very good reason to help my friend from here. Anyway thank you for your words.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, no, it is only a couple of my ghost plants' old lower leaves, the plants are healthy. I do not consider it is a problem. Thank you for the compliment.

Rhizo, thank you for the advice.

Caelian