Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peas

Posted by Hudson...WY 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 5:28

Do you support your peas - yes/no? If yes - what kind of support material do you use? Pros & cons of supporting peas? Photos help if you will share.

photo IMG_0864_zpsf6b4f830.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peas

Tall varieties I definitely support otherwise they'll flop over. I grow them up a cheap plastic fence stapled to wooden 2x2 stakes. The trellis is about 7 feet tall and when I'm done using it I roll it all up and put it into storage.

Earlier this year I planted a solid bed of a couple short varieties and let them support themselves. A little messy looking but it worked okay.

Rodney

o

I use EMT posts with nylon trellis material.

o

holy cow - what variety are those peas? They are climbers! Those poles must be 6' tall?

o

"holy cow - what variety are those peas? They are climbers! Those poles must be 6' tall?"

I would like to know what variety also!

I think they are probably 8' tall since EMT comes in 10' sections!

o

Yeah, definitely support. Especially snap peas which are over 6' now, and I use a little chicken wire for shell peas.

o

I always grow Tall Telegraph. I use nylon net or cattle panels. They can get very tall and with good production for a pea. I've always had to grow in part-shade in AZ because the early spring weather can be too hot. Now, in NC, I'll try them in as much sun as I can find on my fully wooded acreage.

o

The EMT posts are 8 feet tall. There are two varieties of peas planted in the bed. Green Arrow shelling pea and Wando shelling pea. Both varieties grew to the same height. The package for Wando says 18 to 30 inches tall. A little variance in the height from the package. It was real aggravating because they were so tall they climbed up the trellis that I was saving for the cucumbers. The Green Arrow pea package says "plants reach only two feet tall.". I used home grown compost (mostly leaves & grass) as a fertilizer and even though they grew real tall they were also very prolific. Therefore, I do not think the height was a result of excess nitrogen. The same thing happened to my pink eye purple hull peas (Coronet). The package said "compact, 24 inch tall plants that don't need staking". Well they are 8 feet tall and hanging over the top of the trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here