Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

East Coast Gardeners - prep for Arthur?

Just curious if anyone plans to do anything special to protect their vegetable crops from Arthur? We aren't supposed to get a direct hit, or a lot of wind, but downpours for hours. I was looking at the coverage for North Carolina and the water was coming down like a sheet of rain.

I was thinking the tomato plants that are tied to a trellis should be okay, but what about bush beans and squash? I thought I might try to place a large milk crate over them where possible, to protect from breakage. Not sure though if the plants are too large to do that already.

Anyone else?

Comments (17)

• sandals
    9 years ago

You're more north of me, so your forecast maybe worse. I am not doing anything special here on the Jersey shore. Good luck with your plants!

• galinas
    9 years ago

Only problem with squash and beans I can imaging is that their leaves will be in soil. Mine are mulched, so I am not doing anything.

• lindalu2222
    9 years ago

I am not home and worried about the gardens so nothing is being done in mine. Otherwise I would be adding some extra stakes to the trellis. An I haven't watered I 4 days as I knew this was coming.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We got out there this morning and made sure the tomatoes and cucumbers were tied into the trellis well and that was about all we could see to do. The beans and squash are on their own.

So far, no downpours, just steady rain and not much wind.

• nattydoll
    9 years ago

I am in NYC. We got a thunderstorm Wednesday night that lasted for hoooouuurs.

I grabbed one cherry tomato plant and eggplant, sheltered them on my stoop, but them back Thursday afternoon.

Thursday night, left them on the lawn, they were in a thunderstorm. They were FINE. Tomatoes are 2.5 feet high, in a big container, no stake yet - I know, I'm naughty ;)

Today was the third day of rain, and they are looking alright, thank heavens!

I have several Bush Bean plants on my lawn - ranging from 3 weeks to 1 week old seedlings, and they are all still perfectly fine. They are proving to be very hardy :)

• carol6ma_7ari
    9 years ago

OK, gang, we weathered another storm. High winds, heavy rain, but no botanical casualties here in coastal RI. When I went to close the veg. garden gate mid-storm, I flushed a baby rabbit out of the fruit tree netting area, and it spent the night probably very happy, munching on my cabbages, lettuces, and so forth.

Just remember: this was only the FIRST named storm and we have a whole season to be anxious.

Carol

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No problems here either. Sun is out, skies are blue, beautiful breeze blowing. We got almost 3 inches of needed rain at a steady pace and no downpours. No problems in the garden. Lot of people a little South of me got clobbered with 6-8 inches of rain.

Yes, I imagine this is not the last storm this summer.

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

I help a friend with a small garden (a raised bed) on the Outer Banks of NC. Last year we learned not to stake the tomatoes -- wind gets too high. So this year what we have (had?) growing is one sprawling tomato plant, a lot of sweet potatoes, and a small fig bush that has already weathered Irene and Sandy.

I just got the report: winds reached 100 knots, and were at 90 knots for about 1/2 hour. Storm surge from the sound (brackish water) was about 4 feet deep, and has mostly receded now. I haven't gotten a visual on the garden yet (house is a rental in the summer, so garden is on its own). Hoping for a miracle for the sweet potatoes and fig, at least.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

What happens to the soil after the storm surge recedes? How long does it take for the salt to be flushed out?

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Well, I just received photos, and there is actually some green left on the sweet potatoes and on the fig. The raised bed frame floated away, but it's still on the lawn and I'll ask the clean up folks to save it.

After Irene, the soil stayed soupy wet for months afterwards. I could dig down 6 inches and hit water. But that was a bigger flood. I don't know how long it takes for the salt to wash out, but it just seems like some things make it and some don't, and I keep on researching things that withstand salt (like cabbage family -- we grow those in winter) in hopes that they'll make it.

Wish I knew how to post photos -- it would make everyone feel great about their gardens!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

WOW! You guys have a SEASON! And people freak out about our CA earthquakes! That happen .............every 30 years???????????? Maybe......30% chance of "the big one" happening in the next 40 years, so be prepared!
    I can't imagine an earthquake season! LOL Nancy

• carol6ma_7ari
    9 years ago

Nancyjane gardener, as you know, there are earthquakes all the time in CA! Not huge ones (except in the movie 2012) but lots of littles that rattle the glasses, shake the bed a bit, give the table a bump. Especially noticeable in northern CA near the San Andreas fault.

At least our hurricanes can be warned against, a day or 2 ahead. But I love the CA weather and especially the growing climate (my son lives out there), and wish I could have the best of both coasts in 1 place: the long months of pleasant not-too-hot weather of the Bay Area, plus the bracing changes of snow and cold, of my (Mass.) bay area.

But that's a subject for a separate thread.

Carol

• lam702
    9 years ago

Arthur did a lot of damage just north of us, lots of trees down but fortunately, none on my property. It did smash my lettuce, which was very close to bolting anyway. But, my gorgeous peony poppies took a beating, sad to say. A lot of rain, followed by sun = many, many weeds to pull. But I count myself lucky, it could have been worse.

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Not sure where your son lives, Carol, but I'm in Northern California (not too far from Nancy) and I don't remember the last time I felt an earthquake. For sure not in the 7 years I've been in this house. Last one was probably 10 years ago, centered around Glen Ellen I think. Didn't knock anything over. Just tilted a picture or two on the wall. Since then, though, not even the slightest shake. And in the meantime, they keep retrofitting everything, so hopefully if/when the "big one" does hit in my lifetime, it won't be devastating.

My joke about earthquakes vs tornadoes and hurricanes is, at least after an earthquake, I still know where all my stuff is. LOL

I feel bad for the folks who have to deal with a ruined garden (among other things) right in the middle of summer. As someone who also works in insurance, I'm hoping we have another quiet hurricane season like we did last year.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I always think that IF no one is hurt and there's no damage, quakes are kinda fun. Of course, I'm third generation and we're known to be a little weird...

• loribee2
    9 years ago

LOL Deeby. Your comment reminds me of the California cheese commercial (happy cows make better cheese) with the earthquake. Typical Californians making fun of our natural disasters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy Cows Earthquake Commerical

• carol6ma_7ari
    9 years ago

You were right, loribee2; I checked with my son (in Berkeley) and he says it's been about 10 years since anyone felt a bump or rattle.

Here's the 2014 list of hurricane names, though, just in case you want to follow them from your west coast perch, the way I follow earthquake tremors (online, on a weather site) from the east coast:
    Arthur
    Bertha
    Cristobal
    Dolly
    Edouard
    Fay
    Gonzalo
    Hanna
    Isaias
    Josephine
    Kyle
    Laura