Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
harvesting beets

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 7:44

This is my first season with beets. Are mine ready to be harvested? I direct sowed on May 10 so it's been about 60 days so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: harvesting beets

beets can be harvested when they are large enough for your usage. Your appear large enough.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 12:54

Easily. Getting late for beets in your zone as with the heat they will start developing woody cores. Mine were all harvested 2-3 weeks ago. But it depends on how you plan to use them. For making pickled beets smaller than that is better - less coarse, woody texture.

I wouldn't let them go any longer.

Dave

o

Not so sure about smaller is better for pickled beets or any way you use them, I let mine get to at least the size of a baseball but most of mine are about 3 to 3-1/2 inches across, We just pickled 12 quarts and I will pick some more next week, Everyone seems to love my beets so there is no problem there, You could still plant a crop now they should be ready 1st or 2nd week of September.

o

thanks for the advice...can anyone explain why the foliage started to wilt? I've been plucking off the worst leaves weekly but it didn't appear to have an effect on the crop.

o

Beets are a cool weather crop, If it is hot during the day you will see your leafs hanging over but go out early in the morning and their standing backup.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 21:52

Jimmy56 doesn't indicate where he lives or his garden zone so he may still be able to grow them now where he lives or if he doesn't mind cutting out the cores. We prefer ours more young and tender.

But either way, as he said they are a cool weather crop and once the weather warms too much the core goes woody and the tops begin to wilt and die back.

Zone 6 beet season is normally late Mar to mid-June depending on the weather and then again in late August to late Oct to early Nov.

Dave

o

I harvested them today. They were small, about the size of golf balls. The tops looked kind of dry. Will see what my wife makes of them since I'm not a fan of beets.

o

Forgot to mention zone, I'm in zone 6 PA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here