Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark spots on squash and zucchini fruits (leaves mostly ok)

Posted by icebird Switzerland (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 7:51

Hi,

Some of my zucchinis and squashes fruits don't look so good. They're spotty.

Pictures here.

Not all plants are affected. As you can see, the squashes' foliage looks alright. The zucchinis leaves do appear a liiittle bit burned. I don't know whether this is related.

You can also see that the zucchinis are getting preyed on by rodents (or so I think), but that's a whole other problem.

Do you have any idea of what it is or what I should do?

PS: I'm hoping the rodents will get sick from the infected zucchini!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark spots on squash and zucchini fruits (leaves mostly ok)

Sadly the rodents won't get sick because your zucchini aren't infected with anything. The dark spots are just scars or places where something munched on your fruit, like maybe cucumber beetles (though the large bites are definitely a rodent). If the fruit doesn't rot off those spots will form a scar and the fruit will still be edible. As far as doing something you need to find the pest on your plant to research how to deal with it. It is likely either cucumber beetles or squash bugs.

o
RE: Dark spots on squash and zucchini fruits (leaves mostly ok)

Okay, thanks! I went looking yesterday night but didn't see anything. As long as it's no sign of an upcoming disaster though, I'm fine with the small bites!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here