Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smg3480

Flourishing Pepper Plant gone Droopy

smg3480
9 years ago

This is my first year really gardening, I have tinkered with flower beds and herb gardens over the years but this year I went all out and built a big veggie garden.... I've run into a few bumps but I believe it's doing ok so far at least with my being a beginner that is.
Since I only had so much room I had intended on planting all my peppers into 5 gal buckets but was unable to and ended up only planting one Anaheim into a bucket, it has been flourishing SO well, WAY better than my ground planted ones and I didn't want to drill holes into my buckets so I put a few inches of pebbles on the bottom before adding soil and like I said it had been doing excellent!
However, a couple of days ago I noticed it drooping and after checking it out it appeared to be overly wet as water was standing at the top. Now I haven't had any drainage problems and it hasn't rained in a week and I have been self watering and may have over watered.
I drained out some water and drilled in a couple drainage holes because I do not want to lose one of the best plants in my garden, but it's been a couple days and it's still droopy, I could really use some help with this.
Should I just leave it to try to dry out some more see if it comes back or is there something else i should be doing?
Usually it's because I under watered and they perk up within hours of a good soaking.
I bought one of those good rainfall showering hose ends because that's what is recommended to make sure my plants are getting a good water each time I water and since peppers actually like a lot of water it's the one I've been doing good with and I'm not used to the amount that comes out of that wand and really hope my pepper plant will come back to me!
I noticed a couple flowers are turning brown and it does have quite a few fruits growing at a good size already so please please I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

On another note, how do you train vining plants to vine? I have a antelope that I am trying to vine up a trellis but it seems to want to hold everything but what I try to make it hold....

Comments (6)

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

I'm not sure you can make an antelope vine... Ok, it was a funny typo! I'm not sure about the melon, I've never done that. I think you just tie the vine on with plant ties as it grows. Your pepper sure doesn't look good. I don't know if it will bounce back from that. It looks like may have sat in too much water for too long- roots die and then fungi attack. Peppers are known to hate having "wet feet". Definitely don't water it for a while. Next year, put those drainage holes in, they do help prevent that problem. But also get to know by how the pot feels whether or not it needs water, heavy needs no water, light needs water stat. Trying to judge by eye, or number of days, is less accurate.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Pick the peppers off of it and then let the pepper plant dry out for a while. It might recover but it might not. It looks pretty bad. All containers need drainage holes.

As sunnibel said, just tie the vines to where you want them and eventually the plant will get the message and start climbing.

Rodney

• wwb4
    9 years ago

Peppers don't like a lot of water. I've found, occasional deep watering after the plant has just started wilting or,as stated above, checking the weight of the pot to work the best. I've read peppers need to be a little bit stressed, especially early on, to develop a good root system but not sure of that goes for container planting

• smg3480
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info....
    Lol yea gotta love auto correct!
    Ok so Here's the thing, I planted these peppers just 2 days after the one In The bucket, into the ground. All started indoors by seed, all about the same size at transplant. Now I have the Anaheim in the bucket, without drainage holes, only pebbles, for about 7 weeks now. As you can see, the Anaheim in the buckets has does amazing compared to those in the ground. I've had no issues with drainage this far and I live in the Chicago area!
    Because I am a beginner with this I spend at least an hour DAILY in my garden every single morning checking every little inch for signs of anything. And I also come out to just look at it because I truely enjoy the satisfaction of knowing not only did I grow all of it myself from seed, but I weeded, dug, filled, designed, planned and built it all by myself so I notice a problem immediately!
    Now how long would too long be? I was in my garden all day Saturday, the pepper plant was full, luscious and just blooming beautifully. I was out sat after dark checking around for bugs as I see to have a problem with something attacking my broccoli and cauliflower, it was fine. I came out early Sunday morning to do my waterin and check and it was like that!
    I immediately tipped it to drain out some standing water and even added in some compost to try and soak some up. I left it be and then Monday morning when I came out and it was still like that I drilled the drainage holes. Now here we are Wednesday morning and the top 2-3 of soil appear a dry with a some moisture still but a good level of moisture, I think and the plant is still looking like that.
    I'm just baffled at how I can have such good growth with no drain holes, like I said I live in Chicago so rain is not at. A loss here, and have had no probs this far. It's actuLly the only pepper plant fruiting at this time so is there anything else that could cause it to do this? I just really want to explore any and all possibilities.
    When I first got everything planted I think I under watered and when the plants went limp I watered and without hours they perked back up so this had just got me baffled.
    Also, they all pretty much got 'stressed' it in early growing. It tool a while to warm up here so I got a late start on prepping the area and being that I did it alone it took a lot longer than intended so they were in their growing pits much longer then they should have been but all seem to have benefited from that and doing well.
    Anyway sorry for the rambling, I feel like I'm losing a child here and really need some good advice so I don't lose my best child lol
    Oh, should I pick off all the fruit, even the not fully crown ones or just the bigger almost ready to come off ones?

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• smg3480
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Other pic that did not post

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    9 years ago

Ok, the size difference with your peppers is likely due to a difference in heat. The bucket on has soil that warmed faster, so it put on a good spurt of earlier growth than the ones in the ground. Why did the watering issue go from fine to death overnight? I think you were probably flirting around the edge of disaster for a while, then just hit the critical point. The fact that there was any standing water at all is pretty telling. Standing water in any pot is a no-no for any plant that doesn't naturally live in a pond or bog.

Also, I think you are asking how can the plants have droopy leaves from both underwatering and overwatering. Well, plant leaves get their rigidity by being pumped full of water. When they don't have enough, they go limp, pretty straightforward. The thing is when they get overwatered, the roots die. The roots are where the water comes into the plant, so without enough roots to do the job, the top needs more water than the remaining roots can supply, and voila, droopy. Hope this helps.