Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Fall gardens in the South

Donna
13 years ago

This question is for deep south-erners with experience in planting fall gardens. Last year, I evidently started planting too early (August), and many seeds never emerged.

So, when do you plant fall vegetables? I plan to put in Kale, Collards, Turnips, Lettuces, Carrots, Onions, and some Asian Greens like Bok Choy. (Am I missing anything really yummy?)

Do you start your seeds inside, or do you direct seed?

Also, would someone fill me in on Bunching Onions? Are they just straight green onions, or do they do some special trick because they are "bunching"?

Comments (15)

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

1. I start collards, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage in a shaded bed outside. Only gets dimpled sunlight in the morning. Started around the middle of July and just starting true leaves. I start transplanting just after Labor Day and finish by October 15.
    2. I Begin direct sowing turnips, rutabagas, mustard, pak Choi the last week of August and again at two-three week intervals until the middle of October. In addition to the Indian mustards (Giant Southern Curl)I grow mustard-spinach (Savanna or Tender green) When I plant kale I wait until October.
    3. Once in a while I will plant fall carrots (late August)and they do Ok if I get germination. Beets have even greater germination problems in 100 degree weather so I rarely try those.
    4. Bunching onions is a sort of catch all term used for several types of onion. The common factor is the market niche is for small green onions (scallions). On a commercial basis "bunching" onions are non-bulbing varieties of regular onion(Allium cepa)developed for thick stalks. Examples are Santa Claus, White Lisbon. The other dominant type (Allium fistulosum) Welsh onion is a multiplier type. Also normally used as a green onion but is more or less a perennial. The base keeps dividing into a cluster of plants. Popular among home gardeners who can keep them in dedicated beds.

• Donna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well now, this explains alot of the problems I had last year. I'm not much too late. I have some large pots I could put into dimpled shade. Now I have a week-end project to work on! :) BTW, I never heard of mustard spinach. Does it taste like spinach?

I am copying all these dates into my garden journal, so I will know from now on what to do.

I am so glad to know about the bunching onions. The ones I planted last year must have been the cepa type. I didn't notice that they were multiplying and wondered if I was missing something. They were good eating, though. I got some more this year.

I never thought about growing rutabagas. I love them! Are they long keepers? I have a basement.

Thanks so much, farmerdilla. I hope lots of folks read this. I am sure it will help them.

• hoodat
    13 years ago

You may also look into "top" onions that develop small bulbs on the stalk rather than seeds. Some of these multiply very quickly. If you want a large green onion there is the Egyptian onion sometimes called a walking onion because the stalks fall over and the bulbils root by themselves. The Egyptian is stronger tasting than most green onions and the bulbils are large enough to be pickled.

• misterbaby
    13 years ago

I'm planting potatoes today in 7a just outside of Memphis. Misterbaby.

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

No. it is a mild green, but more texture than spinach. No mustard bite, thin leaves. It is Brassica rapa var. komatsuna On the Asian forum it is known as Komatsuna, but it has been around for a long time. The varieties Tendergreen and Savanna were develop for the US market.
    Savanna {{gwi:83098}}
    Tendergreen {{gwi:83100}}

• guavalane
    13 years ago

So, when do you plant fall vegetables? I plan to put in Kale, Collards, Turnips, Lettuces, Carrots, Onions, and some Asian Greens like Bok Choy. (Am I missing anything
    really yummy?)

Hi Donna, here in Los Angeles, I would also put in garlic and leeks in October, and 3 crops of sugar snap or peas. Oh, don't forget celery and broccoli.
    BTW, do you have healthy cherry tomato plants now? I'd start a cutting ASAP.

• chalstonsc
    13 years ago

Farmerdilla.....do you plant lettuce?...when and how? Thanks

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

wow, I am late, late, late I guess. I have started indoors broc, cabbage, brussels sprouts, but that is it. It has been blazing hot here and I fear that trying to get anything in the ground (the soil temp is in the med 90's up to 104, seriously) would just cook the seeds and nothing would germinate. So I am waiting until the last possible minute. My fall tomatoes I started in containers already, however. My black eyed peas and okra are still producing, so I will not replant for the fall on those. But I plan on putting in turnips, lettuce, spinach, bunching onions and chipolini onions and parsnips to overwinter. Eggplants are in the ground, carrots and radishes are going to have to wait some.

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

chalstonsc; I don't do much with lettuce. As a kid, grew a little leaf lettuce but for the last 40-50 years mostly crisp head and Bibb. Here I set a dozen Iceberg plants around the first of March. Usually do well and get harvested before the heat arrives. Back in southwest Virginia, I grew some Bibb type for late spring (June) harvest. Gets too hot here.
    Cornell just sent me three varieties to try. Merlot, Red Rosie, and Green Star. I am going to try a few plants for fall and winter, will wait for ground to cool off in September. I will be learning about fall winter lettuce alongside You all.

• carolynbinder
    13 years ago

Hi Donna:

I blog all about southern vegetable gardening at my website, www.cowlickcottagefarm.com. I just posted a new blog about preparing your fall garden in the south, including instructions on how to figure out when to plant different crops and what crops I am planting. I think it might be helpful to you. I hope you come on over for a visit!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowlick Cottage Farm

• chalstonsc
    13 years ago

Farmerdilla,
    Thanks

• hoodat
    13 years ago

It's almost time for fall planting here in San Diego. By this time of year I am about burned out on tomatos, beans and zukes and looking forward to some good collards or kale for greasy greens (greens tossed lightly in bacon drippings with crisp bacon sprinkled on top) with white gravy. Snap peas will be going in as soon as the ground cools a bit more. I forgot my white turnips last year. I have to be sure to remember them. I love to mix them into mashed potatos for extra flavor.

• grandad_2003
    13 years ago

Donna, as MS is neighboring state to LA, you may find the guide below to be of value. Perhaps you can also find a similar guide for MS. I've used the guide below since the late 1970's (but with an earlier edition). I've found the suggested dates to be on the mark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Louisiana Vegetable Planting Guide

• engineeredgarden
    13 years ago

donna - first and foremost, be ready for the bugs. Since most fall veggies don't require pollination from the bees, I recommend using an aggressive pesticide.

EG

• Donna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, folks. Thanks for all the advice and tips. Ezzirah, I understand your concern about our temps right now. I planted a second crop of Crowder peas and pole beans last week. I watered etremely well and then laid row covers right over the dirt. By watering morning and evening through the cover, I got more than 90 percent germination in three days time. I have had a few beans wither in the sun since, though, even though I am continuing to water. It's HOT! 103 today.

Man, a pot of greens sounds good...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting