Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stunted growth Artichokes

Posted by LindaLu2222 Central Mass (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 8:43

Good morning, new gardener here. Moved from the city to the country two years ago and have found a new passion!

So here is my question, my artichokes have stopped growing and I don't know why. I started them from seed first week of March in my basement with a grow light. As soon as it was warm enough I started bringing them outdoors during the day. End of May they were ten inches tall and I planted them outdoors. I used my rototiller to dig the holes and added a generous portion of compost and peat well mixed in. I keep them well watered and fertilize every two weeks. They have grown only a couple more inches since being planted. So not looking good! They aren't wilted or dieing they just aren't growing. What should I do?

Thanks,
LindaLu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stunted growth Artichokes

What variety is it?

If they weren't exposed to chilling temperatures sufficiently in spring, it's possible they are confused and will not produce this year. The varieties for home production should be chilled in spring by exposure to temps. below 50 degrees for 10 days or so, to trick them into thinking they've gone through a winter.

o

Plus any sign of pests or eggs of pests? Various pests can also cause stunting.

Dave

o

I don't remember the variety but I did chill them at 50 degrees for two weeks in March so I got that part done, wondering of its just too hot. There are no signs of bugs in this garden, have them in another garden 30 yards away. Had a bad case if cabbage worm but conquered that. Thanks for your feedback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here