Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungal strawberry plants and runners

Posted by clyle Scotland (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 9:39

Hello everyone, I bought a batch of strawberry plants from my local garden center and the entire batch had bad fruits with curling up leaves. I'm led to believe they are infected by mildew or some sort fo fungal issue

After I removed this container from my existing batch some of my origin plants have now got the same issue.

My main question is, I have a lot of runners from my original plants that are now infected, are these plants and runners no good or can the plant and runners be saved?

I would hate to throw out lots of strawberry plants and not use all the runners.

many thanks,
Chris.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungal strawberry plants and runners

I think you need to be more specific about the disease and its symptoms on your plants.

o

A photo will definitely help. And you might want to cross post this over on the Fruit forum.

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit & Orchards Forum

o

Hello, I grabbed some pics today.

The symptoms of the plants are:
Strawberry fruits looking like they have grown with splits on them
The leave are curling upwards
Now the runners have started to curl, but only on the plants which have curling leaves.

I have added some picture.
Thanks

o

If you only bought them recently I'd take them back. If you've had them a while and not planted them out they will be stressed and susceptible to disease. I'm a cheap skate and would probably try to revive them by removing any fruit, planting out and watering copiously but counsel of perfection would probably be to burn them. The curled leaves look like thirst to me.

o

Could the thirst, could be trace deficiency, could indeed be fungus, powdery mildew.

Wondering if the stems and/or runners are turning black.

o

I bought them many months ago, the leaves seam to have a powdery underneath. If the main plants cant be saved do I need to destroy all the runners also, I have so many and I was hoping to grow more for next years plants.

They have been well watered and some of the others that are starting share a bucket with healthy looking plants. I would like to be able to at least save the runners.

Chris

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 11:31

It sounds like a fungus...which is (probably) an opportunist due to stressed conditions. Treating with a fungicide and correcting dryness or wetness or whatever other environmental stress made them susceptible to the fungus in the first place.

However, that's a definite guess and please don't take it as authoritative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here