Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How to dispose of excess Bt mix?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I mixed a gallon and didn't use near that much. Label says not to store more than 12 hours (I assume that means not to use more than 12 hours after mixing), but doesn't say how to safely dispose of unused portion other than

"Wastes resulting from use of this product may be dispose
of on site or at an approved waste disposal facility in
accordance with any local legislation applying to waste
disposal for pesticides.
Wastes are not classified as hazardous under RCRA. "

So do I have to wait for a hazardous waste disposal date? Or can I pour the mixture into a disposable pan and let it evaporate, then put the jug and pan into the regular trash since it says that

"Bacillus thuringiensis
subsp.
kurstaki
spores have a very
short persistence in the environment (DT
= 10 hours),
mainly due to their u.v.-light sensitivity"?

Comments (13)

• Deborah-SC
    10 years ago

why don't you just spray it on other plants in your yard - it's not going to hurt them.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really don't want to use anything if I don't have to (I follow organic principles), plus since it's been more than 12 hours since mixing it, I assume it won't be effective.

I did email Bonide with the disposal question, thought someone here would know the answer since it appears a lot of people have used it. I'll post back with the answer when I hear from the company.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

I just splash mine on other plants around the yard once I'm done.

• mckenziek
    10 years ago

Bt itself is pretty harmless to everything except insect larvae. If it is just an aqueous mix (I mean, if it is something that you added to water), you can just pour it out anywhere. If you have any sidewalks or paved driveways around, just pour it out when it is hot, and it will be totally neutralized by the heat, and the water will evaporate and that is that.

--McKenzie

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

Most of the ominous-sounding disposal requirements were drafted by lawyers with no understanding of the actual hazards of a product. You'll find similar disposal instructions for chemicals like table salt and baking soda. I would just dump it down the drain. If you want to kill the Bt, adding a cup of bleach to the solution will do it.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After a few emails back and forth I was asked to call customer service. I spoke to the man who had emailed me, he repeated that this was not hazardous, that the bacteria die off and it becomes less effective after mixing (on the phone he said 8 hours, label says 12 hours), so it "was essentially water" and I could just pour it out, though he did not recommend pouring it down the drain. Best thing to do was to spray it on plants, he said it would not hurt them.

Since I have bean leaf beetles now, and saw thread where digdirt recommended Bt for the larvae, I added more Bt (I had mixed it initially at 2 tsp/gal concentration a week ago) and sprayed the beans and edamame. The original mixture may have been inert, but I think it went anaerobic sitting in sealed jug for a week b/c it certainly did stink! Didn't clog my sprayer though.

Recommendation was to trash the mixing/storage container(s) and not recycle them, even after rinsing (but I could have guessed that). No waiting for hazardous waste disposal day at transfer station.

I have a little left I think I will inject into my squash plants again since I was "inoculating" the stems, and I am now seeing some holes and possible frass at the base of *leaves* so SVB must have just hit the tops of the plants and didn't make it to the ground on most of them.

BTW, SVB season should be over with here in southern New England, right? Though I am seeing new SB eggs - and some nymphs from eggs I missed. Found the duct tape though (and sprayed insecticidal soap on eggs and nymphs last night). Also planted some more squash seeds.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

For me starting that second crop of new squash is the way to go.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, just means that I won't have more until mid-Sept, and we'll see how many before frost. In fact, if 2nd crop takes as long as the 1st (which was more than 2 weeks past DTM), I may not get any at all.

This has been the strangest summer - I still don't have cukes on my Little Leaf (60 DTM) or de Bourbonne (50 DTM) though the there are blossoms and the bees are busy. They seem to mainly be male blossoms - though Little Leaf is parthenocarpic I don't see female blossoms - and the same with the squash this year. Picklebush and Bush Champion are producing pretty well, but not extremely well.

• catherinet
    10 years ago

I would probably take it to a local tox-away collection site.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you have one. We have 1 hazardous waste collection day this year (hope to have 2 next year), and have to drive to another town (and wait in line, they're only taking them from 8-12 and there are 4 towns participating) to bring stuff there. I'll do it for things like wood stain, paint thinner etc. but won't just for Bt since they say it's not hazardous. In fact, empty containers (less than 1" or 3% by weight) aren't considered hazardous.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Next year plan ahead. Start a second crop a bit earlier than this. Also they grow really fast now, much faster than they did in the spring when it was cooler.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never needed a 2nd crop of zucchini before. Usually had it coming out of our ears with 2-3 plants. This year had a dozen, but got SVB (and SB) for 1st time.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

That really is a shame that your squash got hit. I would still try and start replacement plants. You have nothing to loose.

This is my first year growing Summer Squash and right away SVB.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions