Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zucchini plant rotting stems

Posted by buford 7 NE GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 9:44

I have a zucchini plant that had been doing very well. It had 3 main stems. Yesterday I noticed that one part of one stem the leaves had shriveled up and that part was separated from the stalk and I pulled it off. This morning, one of the other entire stalks separated from it's base. The parts that separated appeared as if they rotted away, they were soft and mushy and a light brown color. I still have one base left that I just harvested a large zuke from and there is another one growing on that plant.

Any idea what causes this? Too much water, not enough sun? This plant is in a 10 gallon smart pot (fabric). It had just started to spill over the sides, it's it possible that the strain of the weight of the plant caused this? Will the stems that remain in the ground continue to grow? I'm afraid I've lost the leader and will get no more fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zucchini plant rotting stems

Sure sounds like SVB (squash vine borers) to me.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: SVB

o

Buford, do you have room somewhere else to plant more zucchini? I'm starting more in the next week or two, when squash vine borer and cuke beetles are typically on decline. Just choose a completely different spot, a piece away from your other plants that died. I'm starting more cukes for this reason too....

o

Correct. I skewered one of the worms just now. I only hope the remaining vine is ok. I see slits in it, but no 'frass'. I knew my little zucchini machine was too good to be true.

Thanks

o

Hi ggg, I have all my plants in smart pots. So I can just dump the soil and start fresh. I just pulled a huge zucchini off the plant, so I hate to give it up. I think I may be able to save one stalk, but if not, I will try another squash. I am going to HD to get some BT and another squash plant.

What kills me is that I think I saw the moth. A black and red thing. But I didn't know what it was, so I left it alone. I wish I would have killed it. My cuke hasn't been affected yet as far as I can see. It was much smaller than the squash plant when we started them and is just now getting big. So maybe it bypassed the borers. But I will put BT on it anyway and keep looking for eggs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here