Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thought I planted a pumpkin?

Posted by EileenShino none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 9:45

These are Burpee Small Sugar Pumpkins, and they don't look like pumpkins. This one vine isn't doing so hot but the other is better. They are tiny plants, three vines maybe 3 feet long. The flowers are tiny and look like cukes. Any ideas, is this a pumpkin or something else? The fruit had been growing for a good week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thought I planted a pumpkin?

Picture of the tiny flower

o

It's some kind of melon. Pumpkins and squash have huge flowers. Much, much larger than the ones in your pic. Plus squash fruits don't start out fuzzy.

Rodney

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:21

o

I've got a watermelon that looks a lot like that. Small yellow flowers, fuzzy small vine, and the melon looks about like that. I planted a Sugar Baby, so they're on the smaller side. Been years since I planted a pumpkin and I dont really remember how they start out, but I agree... looks like a melon

o

Could it be a crenshaw cantaloupe? Do they start that tiny?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here