Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Seeds 5 for $1

ruthieg__tx
16 years ago

so I bought 2 packs...and she charged me 59 each...I asked why and she said you have to buy 5 packs to get the 5 for $1....so I went back and got 3 more packs....

Comments (29)

• koreyk
    16 years ago

Well I thought you were going to tell me where I could get 5 packs for a dollar. Come on RuthieG.

I remember back when everyone had seed sales about this time. Now on GW I only hear about them in Texas. Up here no one will give you a dime break. they claim they all go back to the manufacturer and that they get all their money back. Of course what does the sales person really know.

I tried all kinds of stores last year and could not find one with discounted seeds from this time to end of the summer. They used to go on sale about now.

• greenthumbintraining
    16 years ago

Yes, share your discount seed secrets with a fellow Texan...

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure...sorry I didn't think to do it...My DH and I were in Walgreens and he was buying a razor and wowzers...right before my eyes...a box of seeds....They are the same seeds that Wal-Mart sells...I think they are called American Seed Co....

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Dollar stores in Texas frequently have sales on seeds. They were ten cents each, but now have gone to five for a dollar, or 20 cents each. Doubled the price, 100 percent inflation like most everything else.

Really, all the seeds that I have ever got off any rack that way were good. I have even seen them discounted some, but not that much, at H.D. late in the season.

Ruthie, you sho got a brain for bidness! ":^) By going back and getting the other three seed packets, you got them free plus an 18 cent discount on the first two. My dad used to laugh about a tale that was circulated in the country (they had not even dreamed of T.V., movies and very few if any people even had battery operated radios way back then, so they created their own entertainment). The story went that two brothers farm had a Japanese Persimmon tree. They picked some ripe ones and went to the local community cross roads store and were offering them for sale to people around the store and to the "spit and whittle" bunch that can usually be found around such places. Their price was two for a nickel or three for a dime. Someone caught on pretty fast and they would just buy two nickels worth and get four in stead of the three for a dime special. They probably did not have urban legends back then, so it might have been a country legend. ":^)

However, it does sound a bit like the sale price of the Walgreen store you were dealing with.
    Bill P.

• koreyk
    16 years ago

Bill I am thinking that is a great sales pitch. the customer realizes they are lower cost at 2 for the nickle and so he buys 2 when he might not have purchased any in the first place. In fact he buys twice to get the best deal. when he never wanted any in the first place.

I am a sucker for a bargain. That trick would catch me good.

Sort of a double back mind trick. haha.

But you are right and I missed that the first read.

Walgreens is 2 for $1.18 and 5 for a dollar even. good deal. haha.

I remember buying the old seed for a nickle a pack and then they went to a dime. now impossible to find them.

Wal Mart does sell some seeds at a dime a pack at the beginning of the season. but they are nothing great.

I used to be all the great left over stuff was a dime or nickle no matter how good. I used to get all the best Burpee seeds for the dime.

I have to try the local Walgreens and the local Dollar stores. I think Christmas Tree shops sell discounted everything including seeds. I missed them last year.

• raisemybeds
    16 years ago

Korey - Christmas Tree is where I snagged some cucuzzi seeds this year. Got LOTS of nice seeds there, actually, including some neat French lettuce blends that are speckled. Walgreens does have specials like 20/$1. with a coupon, but it is so early in the Spring that it is easy to miss it, and you have to go on the first day or you will not get any worthwhile packets. Dollar stores and supermarkets sometimes have the seed racks out until every packet is gone. My local supermarket sells a premium label line of seeds, but they never discount them. That just ticks me off in general.

I wonder if the MS seeds at KMart get sent back? Anyone know?

• ccromwell78
    16 years ago

I bought the same 5 for a dollar. I figured I could try a few for that price. I bought a watermelon, cantalope, Cucumber(sraight 8) and 2 Pea(Alaskan). I plan on planting the peas for fall. All the others came up great and melons are setting nicely.

• ronnywil
    16 years ago

I picked up some seeds at TSC, Tractor Supply, the other day 20 packs for a dollar.

• tomakers
    16 years ago

"I picked up some seeds at TSC, Tractor Supply, the other day 20 packs for a dollar."

I'm on my way to TSC.
    Tom

• deweymn
    16 years ago

I got two grocery bags full of seeds at the end of the season last year (American Seed Co). I was in an independently owned store and the owner who I have known for awhile was moving the seed rack. I asked about it and he said ASCO. does not take back the old seed packets so I offered to buy them. He gave me a real nice deal ($2) and I planted many of them and sold a bunch at a garage sale. Most of the ones I grew in trays germinated. I had about one bag full of annuals, many marigolds. They did well.

So, check with the business selling seeds now and maybe you will hit paydirt. The seeds should keep for several years too.

• utdeedee
    16 years ago

Here in Knoxville I can't find any seed except corn and bean. I looked for some cucumber seeds for late planting. None to be found anywhere.....the big box stores told me they had done put them away for the season. Hardware stores were sold out and said not ordering any more until the spring. Luckily I bought mustard seed already.....the local independent store had a couple of cucumber plants so I bought them half off, $1.28 piece. Don't like to plant those as plants but so far they look good.....

• josie23
    16 years ago

Most commercial seed companies; Burpee, Thompson, Botanical Interest, etc will offer the retailer an option to buy the seed outright (ie they keep them) or to buy them on consignment per say.

If the store buys them outright they get a better price, but have to worry about a potential loss if they cant sell them all for full price. If the store buys them on consignment they get to send any unsold seed back but have to pay a higher price for the ones they did sell.

Most big box/chain stores will choose the consignment option then when they decide the season is over they can just pack everything up and get it off the floor to make room for something new. Smaller garden centers will usually choose the outright option thus in July/Aug you will find the bargains with the left over seeds.

The store I shop in does both. With Burpee, Botanical and Thompson they ship unsold seed back, but with Seed Savers, Johnnys, Seeds of Change etc they keep them.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    16 years ago

I needed more bush bean seeds, checked everywhere around us. None to be found. Lots of corn, cabbage and broccoli seeds, which I didn't need. Of course. If I was wanting broccoli all I would have found were beans! Anyway I ordered some on-line and hope they get here soon. I wonder, though... if I buy some of the seeds that are leftovers on sale, would they be viable next spring?

• utdeedee
    16 years ago

ediej1209 I would think you could put the left over seed in the freezer and they'll do fine. I'm going to do that as family members do it all the time and have no problems with germination.

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

I just bought 20/$.99 at my local dollar store. I really stocked up too. American Seed Co was the brand.

• genghis_bunny
    16 years ago

I'm going to have to check out my dollar store!

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

Yeah lol, I came home and my hubby just rolled his eyes. The way I figure it, what I don't plant, I will give away to another newbie, just like someone did for me. Keep the karma flowing, ya know?

• orangedragonfly
    16 years ago

I went to Walgreens and the seeds were 10/$1. I bought lots of Perennial mix's, and lots of veggies for next summer. Now I just need someone to tell me how to store these for next year

Kristen

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Just put them up on a closet shelf and they will be fine. Some people like to put them in the fridge, or even in the freezer. Many choices.
    Bill P.

• raisemybeds
    16 years ago

I am very high-tech about seed storage. I keep mine in old shoe boxes. I like to be very sophisticated about these things.

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

haha well I'm a notch above you then...I have some little plastic crate things from the dollar store and I stuff all the seeds of one kind into plastic bags and they fit perfectly...since I have two or three boxes right beside me, I just took a picture to show you.

{{gwi:84184}}

• tomakers
    16 years ago

Coffee cans work well too. I have about 8 of them(the big ones) under my coffee table in the LR. My wife doesn't seem to appreciate the need for them to be close at hand as I am checking through the seed catalogs lovingly stacked alongside. :-)
    Most seed will keep fine as long as they are not in a damp area. Humidity is their worst enemy.

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes these are mostly in my computer/sewing room...I like having them close...I probably won't live long enough to plant all my seeds but it is fun having them and I get a kick out of sending a few seeds off to someone.

• new_gardener_girl
    16 years ago

I live in the Chicagoland area. We have Dollar Tree in this area. They sell packages of seeds at 10 for $1.00.

Problem is, they are not very good seeds. I have seen this same brand at other places like our local grocery store at higher prices,but it didn't change the quality of the seeds. Most of them didn't come up, and when I did get some results with a green pepper plant, it had no taste when the peppers were picked.

If you purchase seeds VIA internet,what are your favorite links to favorite web sites for purchasing seeds?

• lbpod
    16 years ago

Personally, I have never had good luck with the discount
    seeds from unknown companies, but that's not to say that
    some people don't have tremendous success.
    But you bring up a good question: What happens to all of the unsold seed at the end of the growing season?...(I'm talking about the most famous one that usually sels for $1.98 for 6 pelletized seeds). They are dated, so they can't be resold next year. And they NEVER go on sale. Hmmmm....

• korney19
    16 years ago

I went to Walmart and found 2 big boxes of seeds that were originally to be sent back. I talked to the guy and he said there was a mistake, they thought those were to besent back but that was not the case. So he let me look thru them and said they might not scan at the register if they were pulled to go back.

Most were the 10 cent packs, plus some 30 & 59 cent packs. There were also some Burpee $1.07 packs.

I already had a bunch of 97 cent packs in my hand before I saw these, so I just looked for the same varieties in the smaller packs. They had lots of beans, peas, carrots, etc. Someone mentioned cuccuzzi squash and straight 8 cukes, I don't grow either but they had both. There weren't any packs being discounted any further but I ended up buying (20) 10 cent packs (Sugar Baby w/melon, cauliflower, wax & green beans, carrots, spinach, basil, peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, lettuce, pickling cukes, radishes, etc) and (7) 30 cent packs (Sugar Snap Peas, cilantro, Contender beans, etc.) All had 12/07 dates.

As for the seeds that get sent back, I'd assume they get test germinated and if they pass a certain percentage, they may get relabeled with a different date.

• koreyk
    16 years ago

I was at a Dollar Tree store today. They have the same American Seed seeds labeled at 59 cents that are labeled as 10 cents at walmart. LOL.

Anyway they wanted 10 cents a pack and I took 6 packs. got a good selection for the money. found giant dill Long Island Mammoth, I had been looking for. And some things I paid a dollar for this spring.

Now with dill I would be making my own seeds obviously. I found curly parsley. I wanted flat parsley but for a dime I broke down. LOL.

got some beets. should be nice.

I never grew or ate collards and took some for the dime. so many people on GW rave about Collards I though I might try them.

turnip, mustard, beet, dill, parsley, collards all for 60 cents not bad.

I have to say they had a good selection. I wish I had been there in the spring before buying them over the internet at much higher prices. I was tempted by more seeds but skipped on them. I am sure I can pick some up in the spring and I have too many seeds as so many of us do.

The federal gov has different minimum germination on only some seeds but not all seeds. They have to pass the test or they can not sell them as good seeds.

I was lucky. I got some old seeds that the seed company was going to not sell any more because sales are too low. The seeds all germinated this spring anyway. but it is nice to have these soon to become rare seeds and have an opportunity to save them. I hope I can make some more seeds this summer.

• Pyewacket
    16 years ago

Le Jardin du Gourmet has 35¢ seed packets. They specialize in herbs and have some unusual vegetables as well. They have a few flowers, too.

http://www.artisticgardens.com

Sojourner

• new_gardener_girl
    16 years ago

I had no luck at all this year with "American Seed Co" seeds. I don't think I will ever buy that brand again.

Thanks for the link zensojourner!