Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jww_1

Bean Yield for Raised Bed?

JWW_1
10 years ago

I know there are several posts regarding this subject. I have read many here and other sites.

My question is regarding yield values published by LSU; site noted is here:

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_garden/home_gardening/vegetables/Expected+Vegetable+Garden+Yields.htm

According to their data you should reasonably expect 25-30 pounds of beans for a 100 ft row.

So if I take a 4 ftX4 ft bed and space bush beans on a 6"x6" grid, I will end up with 8 - 4 ft rows, or a 32 foot row equivalent. Applying the LSU yield rates, I should harvest 8 to 9 pound of beans.

Does that correlate to y'all's experience? I am relatively new to raised beds, and not sure this pasts the smell test.

It seems that the data reflects continuous harvest over season. What do you think is a reasonable yield for dry beans in this scenario?

I am going to be installing another 12 ft x 4 ft bed and would like to have pole beans trellised along one edge and bush beans over the remaining area. I would like to harvest fresh snaps and dry beans. Anybody got suggestions for heirlooms that do well in the fall along the north Gulf Coast?

Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Comments (3)