Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain Rain go away....

Posted by dspen 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 10:15

I sit here looking out my window at my garden. Its success can go either way. Its raining again.

We have had too much rain. The peppers have yellowing leaves, The tomatoes are starting to get spots on their leaves.

Last year I was carrying water to the plants. I almost think its better to hand water than not have any control over the rain.

Corn is doing great!! So far.

Onions, I am afraid will rot.

I guess its the risk I take every year when the seeds go in.

I know I am having a little pity party right now. Pay no attention :)

Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain Rain go away....

There always seems to be a tradeoff. We've had the same wet, cold weather this year. Most fruiting vegetables look like a bust, but leaf crops had a great year. I'm going to start more lettuce and spinach soon, but I may not get much in the way of peppers.

o

Send some of that rain my way. It's dry here. I'm always reluctant to water the garden but I've been having to lately. According to Weather.com it's rained a whopping 0.81 inches total this month.

photo Weather_zps0f794534.png

Rodney

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 16:23

How about tomato cages over the peppers with something solid across the top to divert the rain. We had LOTS of rain last year so I had to do this with my peppers.

o

I know, my peppers are looking a little droopy with all the rain, and I think I have EB on my tomatoes. We've had about 2.5" so far (about normal, maybe a little over) this month (would have been more but the 3 days of rain we did have were light rain, even though they predicted heavy). Just wish it were spaced out a little more so we don't get the flash floods. Can't complain though, June 2013 was a washout, July a heat wave and 2012 the whole summer was a drought. Lots of places still in drought. So I'll take this moderate weather though the daily T-storms we've had the past few days can leave ;-)

o

What's rain??????
We have a total drought here in California!
We are lucky enough to be on a well, so we don't get fined for watering our garden! We also have no lawns, just give shrubs and other plants minimal water, some things we have had to let die!
Walking around the block (2 miles) the other day, we were shocked to see some people watering about 1/4 acre yard mid day with a huge lawn! Some people just don't get it! Nancy

o

Been blessed with perfect rain here this year. For the past eight or nine weeks we've gotten just about an inch per week. More than usual, but really great for growing. Nothing in the ground has needed watering.

tj

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 18:32

Same here. I have not watered this year, except seedlings. Chard and beans are big.

o

More rain today, but much. Was able to pull a few weeds!
I never thought about trying to cover the peppers to divert the water. I think I will try that.

Looking like its going to clear for a few days.

Sorry for all of you with drought.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 21:22

1.5 inches here YTD. 2010-2012 we did that for 22 months. Probably 20-25 inches, 1/3 normal, the last 4 yrs. But that's way better than rain rain rain, as long as you have a good well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here