Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azzure08

the pride of having a garden

azzure08(zone8a)
11 years ago

I have done it my garden is producing food I could just die from the feeling of happiness! I don't think my Fiancee shares in my joy but he will probably be eating what comes of the garden so I guess that is support lol. as you can see I have a cucumber that I am so in love with because I never knew it was their haha. I have two yellow watermelons growing hope fully they will be big and juicy by the end of the summer. my habanero pepper plant is doing what it is supposed to. sadly I think the person I got my tomatoes from didn't label the sun gold tomatoes as cherry ones so no big golden tomatoes just little one. I feel like I did something so wonderful by having this garden and my children know that food doesn't just appear at the grocery store which is the best part!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (16)

• noinwi
    11 years ago

Congratulations! It's so nice to see posts from new gardeners that are full of hope. So many people are trying to supplement their food supplies by gardening these days and are often frustrated and disappointed with their first tries. Not that that is a negative thing. Gardening is a constant learning process. These forums help immensely whether you're new to gardening or not. We all share the anxiety of crop failures, pests and bad weather.
    I hope your garden continues to thrive and your children catch the bug and continue the(new)family tradition. You're teaching them a wonderful thing(DF included).

• soilent_green
    11 years ago

Fantastic! Once you start eating your very own homegrown vine-ripened veggies you will see what you have been missing out on all these years, and you will be disappointed when you go back to the chemically-laden picked-green store-bought garbage that is sold during the off-season.

You now have a responsibility to "infect" your children with the gardening bug that you have acquired. Give them the opportunities to enjoy and appreciate what you may not have had the opportunity to, until now,and I absolutely guarantee that they will thank you for it someday.

Congratulations on your success and welcome to the gardening world of healthy eats and tasty treats.
    -Tom

• fruitmaven_wiz5
    11 years ago

Sungold is a wonderful cherry tomato, the best in my opinion! You can still cook with it, pur�e the tomatoes and add them to soups or stews. It's so prolific I freeze it to handle what my kids and I can't eat.

Way to go, growing your own food!

• shermthewerm
    11 years ago

It is addictive, isn't it? I've been gardening for 10 years & it's still exciting! I try new veggies & varieties every year. Unfortunately, neither of my daughters share my enthusiasm (although they're more than happy to eat everything). Tonight for dinner is Vegetarian Thai curry: japanese eggplant, yellow zucchini, red pepper, Thai peppers, green beans, kaffir lime leaf, and lemongrass (all from my garden!)

I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly the sentence about your sun gold, but it sounds like you thought it was a large tomato? Sungold is a cherry-type tomato that's extremely sweet & delicious. If you haven't ever tried it, I think you & your kiddos are in for a treat!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Welcome to the world of gardening azzure08! A post like yours sparks me up when I feeling down and tired. Too tired to go out in the heat and humidity to labor in the garden after spending the day working in the heat and humidity .

It reminds me of the "why" I garden, an inspiration to get off of my buns and get out there! I know that I will feel better when I do!

Too bad that we don't have a "like button", Then I wouldn't have had to do the 2 finger typing! LOL

• azzure08(zone8a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol thanks for the replies and it is so addictive I want to grow EVERYTHING. I am already planning the garden for next year. I want to grow new thing I can't help to see the seeds that places have. next year I want to grow a orange watermelon I just really want to see it and of course taste it! My oldest son(5) likes it but my youngest who is two just likes to eat things lol

• shermthewerm
    11 years ago

I hear ya! I started out (14 years ago) with a conventional suburban lot--on a cul-de-sac--completely landscaped in grass. In the years since we moved in, I have completely re-claimed my outdoor space, eliminating 80% of the grass. I have kept a small amount of grass for the chickens, but in its place I now have 2 6'x20' raised beds, a very large dedicated perennial herb garden, a 20'x20' in-ground garden, and a 12'x12' slate patio container garden off (which grows great peppers!)

• AiliDeSpain
    11 years ago

This is my first year also and I love it! My little ones also love coming into the garden every morning and looking at the new fruits forming, or flowers opening. So awesome! Here is a pic of my daughter holding two zukes we harvested this morning and had with Dinner! :)

• planatus
    11 years ago

It only gets better the more you do it. I have photos of my baby girl sitting in the spinach patch when she was two, and another a few years later of she and the neighborhood kids munching freshly pulled carrots. Those times were special, and they never leave us. She's 25 now!

Don't forget to keep planting. In Z 7 there is still much fun to come!

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

Ali, next year try Costata Romanesca, it has very superior flavor.

Congrats to the new gardeners!

• greginnd
    11 years ago

I will second the Costata Romanesco suggestion. My only problem with it is that they grow into monsters overnight, so watch them carefully.

• shermthewerm
    11 years ago

I have always wanted to try costata romanesca, but haven't found any seeds locally (and I really hate paying more for shipping than for a packet of seeds). Does anyone know of a good place to buy seeds with reasonable shipping?

• defrost49
    11 years ago

Congrats to everyone for successful vegetable gardening. I also grow costata romanesca zucchini. It seems like it's a much hardier plant than other varieties plus I like the flavor.
    I just try to order all my seeds from two suppliers to get what I want. The shipping costs are worth it to get the variety but I'm frugal about it. I might only order from a particular place every other year. There's just the two of us so a seed packet can last more than a year. Johnny's Seeds is the only place I can get my favorite winter squash, Confection, although I have found more than one source for an unusual but very tasty cucumber Poona Kheara. I found that both Confection and a winter squash I got from Baker's Creek stored well all winter. A lot of winter squash only stores until Christmas in our area (NH) and then starts to spoil. I figure the value of those squash made shipping costs worth it.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

I will try to remember to let a couple of Costatas go mature, in which case i can give away some seeds.

Those who remember can contact me in october/november on the subject.

• shermthewerm
    11 years ago

That's really generous of you, pnbrown! I would love to take you up on that offer.

• azzure08(zone8a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so glad to hear that everyone's garden is growing and producing. I think gardens also open you up to new foods now I am thinking of growing and trying foods that I never thought to try.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler