Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to bT corn silks?

Posted by ediej1209 5 N Central OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 10:19

I have never tried doing this before so I am not sure of the timing. When should I apply bT to the silks of the corn so we don't lose so many ears to those stinkin' ol' corn worms?
Thanks,
Edie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to bT corn silks?

Good question! I was about to post the same!

o

I've applied it when silks first appear, and again a week later. There were virtually no earworms, none at all some years. Try to spray directly into hole where the silk emerges.

o

Oh, dear, it looks I missed the window of opportunity then. Some of the ears, the silks are already starting to turn brown. Just have to keep my fingers crossed now. But thanks for the info - I will be better prepared next year!
Edie

o

Thanks Zeedman! Mine are a little past that stage but only by about 5 days.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 16:20

I think BT pretty ineffective. I've sprayed every other evening with little success. In the evening because it photo degrades. And I started as soon as silks emerged. That amounts to about 10 applications. Ears were still heavily damaged. We have very severe pressure here.

o

I've had very good luck with just before pollen shed, immediately after and then once about 1 week to 10 days later. Don't use old Bt, for sure. I use a hand pump sprayer and shoot the liquid down into the tip with a low pressure stream. Bt does photodegrade quickly so putting it on the silks outside the ear won't help as much unless your ears are well protected by a dense canopy. Just for grins I tried a bicolor SHII triple stacked GMO, RR, Bt sweetcorn this year called Obsession II, out of 120 ears I had 2 with 1 tiny live worm each and never sprayed.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 23:33

Ya, that BT works great when there aren't any ear worms...;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here