Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin pollination question.

Posted by edweather z5a/b upstate NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 10:19

I have a container pumpkin with a female flower that bloomed this am. The problem is that there are no males available. The closest male to blooming is about one or two days away. What is the window for pollinating the female? Can I wait a day or does it have to be done today? Thanks. Ed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin pollination question.

the window for me is 2 days. if your male is "real close" you can manually open it.

o
RE: Pumpkin pollination question.

Terry thanks. I did manually open a couple of the males and did the best I could. Didn't see much pollen. Oh well. Apparently my window was a little smaller. The blossom must have opened very early this am, and by noon, after a few hours in the sun, it was shriveled and closed. We shall see. There will be more males and females....I just hated to see this nice female go to waste. Funny, one of my container watermelons did the same thing....female first. I've never seen that before. I'm guessing it's because the container stuff grows super fast early in the plants life, especially this year with perfect growing conditions. Thanks again. Ed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here