Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

How many cantaloupe to leave on the vine?

ikea_gw
13 years ago

My three Hale's Best cantaloupe plants are starting to produce baby melons. The first few are 4 inches long now and looking great. The vine is growing wild in all directions. I want to know how many fruits to leave on the vine to ensure that I will get good sized melons. The soil seems to have a decent amount of nutrients. I haven't done a soil test there but it was the location of a compost pile for a few years.

Comments (4)

• jonhughes
    13 years ago

Hi Ikea,
    I have found that they are self regulating,and all the fruits the plant sets will mature up great.... but at the end of the season,you will then want to reduce the fruits to an acceptable but limited number...

{{gwi:84468}}

{{gwi:84469}}

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

I let cantaloupes set on what they will...11 per plant seems about the limit with 4 or 5 more common.

Watermelons often [but not always] need some checking on as to how many fruits are set on at a time. Too many will usually hurt quality. I have 2 Orangeglos that have kept setting on more younguns and I have let them keep 5 between the two of them for now. I would rather have one excellent watermelon than 3 fair to poor ones. Vine strength and variety size will vary...small iceboxers can handle more at a time.

• susancol
    13 years ago

Gee, I wish I had this problem. So far with 4 different melon plants of the charantais type growing as a test, I have a single melon growing. And to add insult to injury, the vines are so tangled, I'm not even sure which one produced my lonely only melon!

Susan

• pointsevenout
    10 years ago

If you're growing for competition, leave 1 melon on the vine.
    How's your fertilizer situation? When the vines start to run it's time to fertilize with higher P and K values for flowering, fruiting, and roots. Too much N will give you lush foliage and little to no fruit.
    I like to grow 2-3 melons per vine to maximize size. Pinch off all other female flowers.
    If you want more melons, plant more seeds.