Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown cauliflower

Posted by nuttyprof none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 10:23

This is my first garden so I am sorry if this is a stupid question.

I moved my cauliflower and broccoli to my raised bed (from another location that was getting taken over by squash).

Upon moving, both were wilted and then came back to life. The broccoli is even growing heads, however, both had funky discoloration (yellowish) and now the cauliflower is browning. The internet says Boron deficiency is the most common cause of browning. Can I do anything about it at this point? Will it still grow? And, is it safe to eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown cauliflower

Broccoli and cauliflower florets might also brown or yellow around the edge as the plant bolts (due to the heat, no doubt).

Does your plant look like it's bolting (i.e. beginning to flower).

o

Boron deficiency is rare. I expect your problem began with stressing your plants by moving them. I don't know where you are, but unless you are a frigid far northern state cauliflower will not head properly at summer temps. Broccoli is a bit more tolerant, but still quits in midsummer. In both cases you are eating the flower heads, but you do want them to form properly and quickly. If your are does indeed have boron deficiency ( ask your Ag extension agent) a sprinkling of 20 mule team borax will solve the problem for next year. Nothing you can do about now. Make sure tho, too much boron is worse than not enough.

o

Thanks! I am in Wisconsin. My neighbor also has brown cauliflower (and did not move hers). I suspect it makes sense it was the heat/move. All this did happens when we finally got some sunshine up here. Of course, then my eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes got their grove on. I also think that the squash plants were giving the brassicas more shade that they liked. I am not sure if they are "bolting" but they are both growing heads. The cauliflower is bigger than the broccoli. I am happy though I will be able to still eat them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here