Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay Zone 5-ers, What Are You Planting Now?

Posted by mrswaz Z5A NE WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 10:24

I have devoted quite a bit of my garden real estate to bush beans this year... and they're doing terribly. Very poor yield, the leaves are rusting, and I think they've just not liked the weather. Understandable. I'm willing to leave the pole beans and hopefully they'll flush out eventually, but I want to pull up the bush beans and plant something else.

I also have several lettuces that have gone to seed, so I plant to harvest the seed and replant there as well.

So what are you planting now? Inspire me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay Zone 5-ers, What Are You Planting Now?

I think it is time to plant fall crops (broccoli, cabbage, collards, spinach, and turnips) but it is still hot. I kind of think that if I set plants out they will die and seed won't germinate. I might do it anyway. Otherwise I'm busy spending my "free" time moving the hose from one garden bed to the other.

o

I've just been looking into the same thing. I think I'm going to put in some bush beans (no help to you, I know) and will try to see if I can fall crop some peas before we get a freeze. I've already got my arugula germinating again even though it is still hot. I finally finished harvesting lettuce seed from my leaf lettuce, so i'm going to try to see if I can get some to germinate in the slight shade provided by the pole beans and tomatoes. I will likely try carrots, beets and swiss chard again in the fall as well, if I can keep the stupid rabbits off it all.

o

I scattered lettuce seed on a spare bed a few weeks ago, and now have all the salad I can eat. It's in part shade, so I'm guessing that is why it germinated and isn't bitter. In the same bed, I have broccoli coming along.

My handy-dandy Madison FarmWorks Vegetable Planting Calendar (from a Madison, WI CSA) says July 22, direct seed cilantro, dill, spinach. Transplant broccoli, kohlrabi, green onions, Napa cabbage.

August 5th, direct seed radishes, salad mix, spinach, turnips, and transplant lettuce.

Plant garlic the end of October.

o

Got any large (1-2 ft unflowering) indeterminate tomato suckers you could cut and root? You might get a crop if so (think it's 55 days from flower to fruit).

I'd like to plant kale, beets, carrots, lettuces, peas, onions, and garlic, but I am also unsure of exactly when I should plant most of these. I'd be interested in knowing what works.

o

Still too hot and dry to plant anything now. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll try lettuce, spinach and a fall planting of peas.

o

I'm not z5, obviously, but I've started some broccoli romanesco, carrots, and purple potatoes. Looking into a good type of garlic to start come October as well.

The big box stores around here get their fall crops in end of August, I'll see what they've got then for any impulse buys.

o

Here in the mountains it has been raining a lot, highs in the 70's, nights in the 50's. Some of this is a gamble, with frost and waning sun, hope for continued rain, etc, but here is what I planted last week:

Peas, lettuce, spinach, chard, beets, broccoli, turnips, mustard, tatsoi, bok choy, nasturtiums, zucchini, arugula, kale, purple kohlrabi. Most of it is under hoops and netting now, and the hoops will hold fleece once the frost comes.

I basically looked at all my seed packages for anything that said 60 days or less, and stuck it in the blank spaces :)

o

I am in zone 2b/3a, with a much earlier onset of fall and winter.
I typically plant beets, kale and chard around August 1st, and other leafy brassicas (tatsoi, bok choy etc) August 10th. Any earlier and they bolt.
I plant spinach August 15th. Again, any earlier and they tend to bolt on me, even the bolt-tolerant varieties. That may just be because I'm so far north.

No experience with broccoli or other veggies.

o

I have seedlings started indoors a week and a half ago of...spinach, lettuce, broccoli, parsley, and basil. I will transplant soon, probably in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping by then our temps will be down somewhat.

o

I'll be planting Swiss chard & beets, although I usually put them in earlier.

August 1st is my target date for Fall peas. Sugar snaps actually seem to do better if they ripen in the fall... much sweeter. The short-vined variety "Sugar Lace" matures quickly, and has better germination if planted now than it does if Spring planted.

You can plant carrots now, and I intend to. They won't fully size up, though, unless we have a late Fall (which is certainly possible this year). Late planting seems to avoid most splitting. Carrots can take quite a bit of frost, and really sweeten up when the weather turns cold.

Kohlrabi has done well for me direct seeded just about now, since they too will take some frost. Ditto for turnips; but it's hard to keep the bugs off them in this weather. I planted rutabagas a couple weeks ago, and bugs destroyed them shortly after they germinated. I recommend covering any brassica with floating row cover, as an alternative to spraying.

This is also the time I dig up & divide my walking onions, since they are in their brief period of dormancy. You can replant them immediately, but I usually let the ground bulbs cure for a month or so, until they begin to sprout.

o

I love reading what everyone is thinking about doing. :) It has been such a crazy year... last year I don't think my killing frost rolled in until mid November, so I'm optimistic in thinking about trying again with a few things.

And yet, it's still awfully warm. Highs here should be in the 80's for the next ten days, lows getting to upper-mid sixties. I'm not sure what will successfully germinate. Maybe a trip to the garden center to see what's still hanging about. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone around here carrying "fall crops" but it's worth looking at.

Interesting idea about the tomato suckers too. I have 77 tomato plants in the ground now, and the first round is flushing, so that's something to think about.

Floating row cover too- hadn't thought of that. Last year I planted turnips about this time and they were completely obliterated by bugs. Maybe I'll try those again too.

First though, I need to spend the time removing what I don't want, and harvesting that lettuce seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here