Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter1142

Cantaloupe plants huge

Peter1142
9 years ago

Our crenshaw cantaloupe plants planted about 5-6 weeks ago are growing ridiculously huge! The 2 plants we gave 100 square feet to have already taken over all of that and yesterday slipped through our fence and continuing growing into the flower beds, I had to pull them out of some other beds too. They both have a few vines, the longest over 10 feet at this point with huge leaves that stick a couple feet up in the air.

They are still growing 6"+ a day at this point. Will they keep growing at this rate or are they going to stop? I am thinking my only option here is a trellis. I could let them use the garden fence but would that defeat the purpose of the fence? We have serious deer problems (at least come fall) and groundhogs in the area. We have finally gotten some flowers yesterday. Sadly, due to a carpenter bee infestation where they were eating the house, we had to spray the house and sheds, can't let them destroy the structures, and now I don't see any bee activity out there.. hard to believe there aren't any others in the neighborhood. I hand pollinated a few females on my acorn squash this morning.

Sadly the sweet small pumpkins I planted with in the same giant hill with them (2 cantaloupe 2 pumpkins) are still tiny maybe a 2 feet long tops and are not using all their space. I hope they will kick into some growth. Do the sweet small pumpkins just stay much smaller?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz