Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ally99_gw

Sigh...holes in leaves and more bugs - what is this little guy?

ally99
15 years ago

Hey guys! So, as I fight the SVB fight (probably too late), I thought I knew what the larvae looked like (google image results help to prove my thoughts...a little white larvae-looking worm with a dark head). However, today I picked a squash and there was a hole in it (not in the vine, but in the squash itself). I cut it trying to find the little culprit, and I found a green larvae that was larger than the SVBs I've been finding. Is this just an older SVB or is this some other lovely pest I need to study up on?

{{gwi:84932}}

{{gwi:84933}}

Also, do you guys know if a squash plant can recover if a SVB worm gets into the main stem?

As larvae, do they move from plant to plant? or do they just kill the plant/vine they are burrowed in and that's it?

Lastly, I'm noticing more leaves with holes in them lately as shown below on my cukes and squash. I guess this could pretty much be anything from squash bugs to grasshoppers, huh?

{{gwi:84934}}

{{gwi:84935}}

Thanks again. I'm really trying not to get discouraged and trying more to use this year as a learning experience so I can do a better job next year. I feel lucky that at least I've had enough successful squash and cucumbers to enjoy them in a couple of dishes. Plus, to focus on the bright side, I'm having good luck with my tomatoes, and my peas and corn look like they are holding their own, so it's not ALL bad.

Thanks for your help and advice! This forum is such a helpful resource!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!