Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tasteless tomatoes

Posted by gdnh 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:46

Tomatoes taste like supermarket tomatoes!!! Maybe it is cos a lot of rain this season washed the flavor out? I will have to put them in a salad and slather with creamy dressing - sad!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tasteless tomatoes

What varieties are you talking about? Yes, excess amounts of rainfall does affect the flavor (and texture) of tomatoes and other fruits and veggies.

o

Early tomatoes tend to taste kind of blah for me as well, but it's because i'm anxious for the first tomatoes and pick them too soon. If i leave them on the vine a few days more they're good. I have the same problem in the fall, when temps cool and it takes tomatoes a few days longer to ripen.

I've only grown one type of tomato that was bad no matter how long it sat on the vine - It was a roma tomato with a name something like Grendaro.

o

Mdfarmer....you are so right; tomatoes need some heat and sun on them before they will taste good.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 17:04

With July highs averaging about 75 and lots of rain (I have watered some of my beds once this year, and some not at all), my tomatoes will be tasteless too when they ripen (I have eaten a few cherry toms). You can not expect good tomatoes every year in Zone 5, unless you are in the desert. I always have 85% of the garden in roots and leaves, and those give a crop every year.

o

Often, if one crop washes out, another one will thrive.

This has been a great year for leafy stuff here. Anything else ...

o

That is correct leafy stuff has thrived also cukes (21 jars of pickles in basement) so I should not complain. I will try to leave tomatoes on plant longer maybe that will help

o

Must be a matter of type, too. We've only hit 80 once or twice this July, with nights in the 40's and a couple days only in the upper 50's -- my sauce tomatoes are ripening v. slowly, and are nothing special taste-wise. However, my Sun Golds are stupendous, as always (also ripening v. slowly)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here