Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coptician

Root knot nematodes are killing me!

Coptician
9 years ago

I have a major infestation that's destroyed my bush beans, cantaloupe, and cucumber. I've pulled everything up and tilled the beds, removing all roots. My beds are sandy, but with loads of compost incorporated continuously. I'm looking for critique for my plan from here on in:
Starting now, in beds that I know are infested, to sow a thick cover crop of Golden Guardian Marigold, to overwinter and die in place. Mulch heavily after they die back, leaving the roots in place. For next spring's crop in beds I'm not sure of, I'll sow Marigolds as early as possible to get max growth before setting out crops. Here's where I want to try something new: Cut down Marigolds, again leaving the roots in place, mulch with black plastic over drip hoses, setting out cukes and cantelope in holes cut in the plastic. My thinking is that the Marigold roots should continue to trap (or repel, whichever it is they really do) for the remainder of the season without the heavy foliage of Marigolds competing for light. For the beans, I'll switch to a climbing RN resistant cultivar I saw elsewhere online. I really want to nuke these things!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area