Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Bush Green Beans

Posted by CharlieBoring 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:58

I decided to try to produce a fall crop of bush green beans. I planted them about July 15 and they are now a couple of inches high. They are suppoesed to produce beans in 65 days. The first frost occurs in Northern VA about 15-20 October. Has anyone tried this? Success?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Bush Green Beans

My bush beans are about a foot and a half high and producing abundantly, for their size at least. I'd expect to get that first flush of beans no problem, they don't take long.

o

Yes indeed. I always make a couple or three plantings of bush beans.

o

Not so long ago folks down south, especially into the Appalachians would grow late season beans that were called fall or October beans, mostly climbers and planted in the corn patch to climb the corn stalks. Many families seem to still maintain their own seed for this and not very far from you either; if you ask around, you may find a neighbor who does just that. Google 'fall beans' for more information.

As for your planting, there is no reason whatsoever that you should not get snap beans from it. Fall snap beans are said to be better flavored, too. Green peas work well into the fall, too, and they are hardier than beans. I think I will be planting some mixed peas from old seed yet here in Minnesota for a green manure on one patch and whatever nitrogen they can fix there.

o

October beans, also called cranberry beans, are very good shelled or picked as green beans when young. But, they are loaded with gas! ;) I have grown them, I planted a bag of dried cranberry beans from the grocery store.

I have the same frost dates here. I have some blue lake runners that I planted in early July. I do it every year and get a good crop before frost. So, the bush will be no problem unless this crazy weather kicks in!

o

I grew up in the Charlotesville area, we always made our fall planting of bush beans (Burpee's Green Pod)by August 15. Don't ever remeber frost catching them, altho there was always a rush to clean out frost susceptible vegtables when the first frost was expected.

o

I just put another run of bush green beans in today. As long as a freeze doesn't hit them, they'll grow and produce fine in fall. One year I pulled the plants on the third of November (SE Ohio) because a killing frost was due that night, and reaped a huge amount of beans to can. It was one of those 'well we'll see if we can squeeze this in' and it worked. I planted them in September. Particularly late in the season for a killer frost, but lucked out. Good grief, in your zone there should be plenty of time.

o

I think your beans will make it and you will have a strong September harvest.

What's working for me is to make two plantings of bush beans (the first one is now about done, the second one just starting to bloom) along with pole beans planted on the sweet corn (just starting to run). I get three continuous months of snap beans, picking every three days.

o

I agree with everyone. Your chance is good. IF by chance an early frost is predicted and you don't want to lose them, have some floating row cover on hand and cover them up. Early frosts are usually one night stands. You might get a few more weeks out of them if you do this.

o

The bush beans I planted in May have not let up production. I attempted some peas instead of more beans.

o

Charlie you can get bush beans that mature in 48 days I just planted some on August 1st and I live in MA so I expect to harvest in late September.

o

• Posted by fcc0 Central PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 18:32

Anyone else out there find that their beans keep producing all summer? I was told that bush beans die out, but I have found over the years that if you pick ALL the beans off as they mature and never let any get real big, the poor plants have no choice but to keep trying to make seeds. I plant my beans early here in PA, and about July they have produced enough for eating and freezing, but a new crop of flowers is out there now, and I know that in a week or two I will be picking more beans. I don't think they go all the way into the Fall, but far enough for lazy old me to not bother planting another crop. Anyone else get away with this?

Frank in PA

o

By the third flush, I find the quality falling off, but they're still producing beans.

o

Last year, I planted bush beans over the July 4th weekend, and froze enough beans to last through the winter... I'm still eating them. The average frost date here is around October 5th, so with a frost date 10-14 days later & more heat than I have, there is plenty of time to get a good crop. This year, I planted "Emerite" pole beans on July 5th, and they are beginning to climb & bud up, so they too should bear well before frost.

Bush beans & English peas are good crops to plant in mid-summer bare spots, since they will not only give you food before frost, they will enrich the soil.

I agree with OldDutch that beans - like many vegetables - are better flavored if harvested in cool Fall weather. I usually plant my snap beans earlier, but when the weather prevents that (as it did here last year) I can't help but notice that the quality of late-planted beans has been outstanding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here