Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush Crop Cucumber issues

Posted by rmsiegel Maryland (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 11:00

So I planted a bush crop cucumber about 1-2 months ago. It was growing great, tons of flowers And bright green. We had a storm and I made the mistake of not moving it under cover and since the bottom of the plant has been dying off. Also, the cucumbers will start to grow and shortly after they will start to brown and shrivel up. Any advice on how to fix this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush Crop Cucumber issues

Also you can see the melon mildew on the leaves I believe

o

Lastly another image of a cucumber that was growing fine for about a week but looks like its dying now

o

Are you sure the cucumbers are being pollinated? Sometimes they can get pretty big before dying off if they haven't. You can pollinate yourself if you don't have any bees helping you out. I pollinate mine in the mornings with a paintbrush.

I can't help you with the leaves. Sorry!

o

That plant is dying, you can't save it. Powdery mildew all over, and it's not happy in that container. I'm not familiar with that variety, but it's certainly not a bush cucumber.

o

Yup. Powdery Mildew. Throw them in the trash and don't reuse the soil for susceptible replants.

o

Is it possible your pots do not have drainage holes? If they do not, when it rained, your pots filled up with water and it had no place to go. Therefore, death by drowning.

If you know better than this, I apologize. My neighbor across the street had this happen with tomato plants in a half whisky barrel this year. He's an M.D.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that your pot might be too small. I have grown bush cucs in pots successfully, but it takes a BIG pot (18" in diameter or bigger) for ONE vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here