Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Is Dandelion really a kind of vegetable?

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

I saw they sell Dandelion greens at WalMart. I bought one and I tried. It tastes just like any other greens.

Are Dandelion greens from Dandelions? Are the leaves of Dandelions edible?

Comments (17)

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Yes, They are edible. more popular in Europe than in North America

• denninmi
    10 years ago

The ones you buy in the store are not the lawn weed with yellow flowers (Taraxacum officinale). They are the leaves of a kind of chicory, and are properly called Italian dandelion or Italian Chicory. However, they bear a strong superficial resemblance in appearance and bitter flavor to true dandelion leaves.

And, to confuse it more, there is a strain of true dandelion from Italy, called Dente di Leone Tarassaco bred for very large, long, tender leaves.

Both species are really easy to grow. I used to have the Tarassaco strain, but really all of these are too bitter for my taste, so they weren't replaced as they died out.

This post was edited by denninmi on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 20:35

• jimster
    10 years ago

Wild dandelions are best when harvested in the spring before they flower.

Jim

• raistlyn
    10 years ago

You can get salads with young wild dandelions here in Europe in Spring. They dont taste exceptional - pretty much like any other lettuce but tougher.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

AS mentioned, they are generally bitter and tough. Actually it is their bitterness that makes them special. It has to with the BITTER PRINCIPLE.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 4:48

• seysonn
    10 years ago

deleted double post.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 4:46

• zzackey
    10 years ago

They have medicinal properties. Good for stomach problems. You can buy the seeds for them. They are a cool weather crop in the south. I always thought it was a type of dandelion, not a chicory...

• redrabbit
    10 years ago

They also make a good wine...............

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

It is too lettuce more or less as queen anne's lace is to carrot: hugely inferior in eating quality and doesn't need any help from a gardener.

• raistlyn
    10 years ago

I actually tried growing them for my pet rabbits and failed! Could not believe that something that I could fail so miserably at growing something that seems to grow everywhere! And I've heard others say the same.
    Right, now people are going to think in crazy but for what it's worth, these things are impossible to cultivate!

• chaman
    10 years ago

Yes.
    I buy Dandelion from Wagmans and Safeway stores.Dandelion available from stores is domesticated form of this vegetable.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Sautee wild dandelion greens with olive oil, garlic & sea salt!!!

Or add to pasta!

MMMMMMMM!!!!!

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Personally, I think there are many other types of greens that are tastier. I never understood when people asked for identification of portulaca, lambs quarters, and dandelions...they would often be given the advice that they were desirable edibles.

I guess there are people who will try anything as long as it has the gourmet label attached to it. Just my opinion, and I must admit to being influenced by my husband, who was a farmer prior to becoming an engineer...he did battle with these weeds. ;)

• dog_wood_2010
    10 years ago

The entire dandelion plant is edible including the roots, stems, leaves, and yellow flowers. They are also loaded with nutrients and have many medicinal properties. The yellow flowers are often used as a garnish in salads.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 12:54

Thank you so much for your explanation.
    I actually love the bitter taste of the Italian chicory (dandelion green). It matches well in stir-fries with pork or chicken and olive oil.

I believe the bitterness is not as strong as grape leaves.

I have never tried any types of the real dandelions. But I have heard that they are actually a healthy food ;)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by Raistlyn none (My Page) on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 9:24

If you read the post of denninmi, it is believed that these are "easy" to grow ... hmm.

• thirunilakantam
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dandelions white and yellow grow here in mild tropics 400m altitude here in the Philippines.i tasted the leaves milder than mustard leaves. I eat raw mustard leaves.climate change caused little bit cooling here in the tropics of Asia.this favor the growth of temperate plants in the tropic at higher altitude.