Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinezone7

I need some serious encouragement

SunshineZone7
10 years ago

I have planted many vegetables I have never planted before. Previously I have done tomatoes, sweet peppers, bok choy, and cucumber. This year I tried the following with the following results:

Swiss Chard- it has cercospora leaf spot

Bok Choy- bolted, will plant in fall

Kale- has cabbage worms (tons of holes) been trying to catch all the white butterflies!

Zucchini- just today discovered vine borers!

Eggplant- looks ok, out of 3 plants only 1 is making a fruit, the others have flowers that drop off.

Bush beans- so far so good but what do I need to be on the look out for?

Tomatoes- herbicide damage (not from me)

Hot peppers- so far so good!

Gardening is a lot of fun for me and lots of effort and time consuming as well. It is discouraging to have almost nothing to show for the efforts except experience. So I am happy for the experience. I am an organic gardener and I need to figure out how to reduce the risk of getting these disease/pest issues. I would love some help! I live in MD zone 7. Where the heck do all these pests come from?

Comments (11)

• raistlyn
    10 years ago

Hello Sunshine,

I cannot offer you advice but I have heard that misery loves company and I can definitely share in this feeling! This is my 2nd year seriously gardening and while I get some highs and feelings of triumph when I harvest something that looks decent, I also get many lows when I feel overwhelmed by all these pests eating up my plants! Aphids, ants, grubs, cutworms drive me mad. And today while I was checking my last cauliflower plant, I discovered that despite my row covers, a cabbage butterfly managed to make it in and my last cauliflower head (it was a good size) was covered in caterpillar poop!! Beurrrkk!!

My peppers dont seem to be growing and my lettuce seedlings seem to die for no reason, most of my plants were severely set back by a hailstorm last month... i could go on...

But I have harvested 2 lovely heads of cauliflowers, some huge lettuce in early summer, tons of chard, some lovely zukes and have more dill and chervil than my rabbits care to eat! Oh, the radish and choy sum were yummy and im impatiently awaiting the tomatoes ripening! :)

I learn something new each week its amazing. I guess it can only make us better every year (unless I am defeated and throw in the towel before that!)

You are not alone!

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Look out for bean beetles - holes in your leaves and on the pods. Also rust on the leaves of the bean plants.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Eggplants are very heavy feeders. Flower drop off might mean they need more fertilizer.

• misterpatrick
    10 years ago

Maybe go for some easy wins. Garlic is pretty easy. Not to many pests go after it and you get scapes if you plant hardneck. And of course herbs are easy ad tons you can do with them. I also love things like French dressing radishes in the spring and fall. 21 days usually so not so much "commitment". Plus, with things like radishes, beets, fennel etc you can always eat the greens, flowers, seed pods if they do bolt. I grow a lot of tomatoes (25 this year) but have no luck with eggplant.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

After some reading, research, and experience, you will learn which crops to plant at certain times. Some need cold weather in early spring and some need heat. The soil is very important for healthy plants and so is planting a variety of plants that attract beneficial insects and birds that eat the pests.

You will also find which plants aren't worth the trouble to grow. Most of all, try not to use poison which will upset the whole balance.

The weather has a lot to do with pests and disease. Some years you have great luck and some you have a lot of problems. Try to have fun despite it all.

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 19:22

• jctsai8b
    10 years ago

Organic Pest Control for Vegetable Gardens

http://organicgardeningtips101.com/videos/organic-pest-control-for-vegetable-gardens/

Watch this video, hope it helps

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

"I'm in Maryland... Where do all these pests come from?" You'll have to forgive me, that gave me a chuckle. Growing up up north we sure had a lot less insect and disease pressure it seemed. Down here is a whole 'nother story. I sounded like you a few short years ago!

There are two things I can think of that will help. First, take good care of your soil. Get a soil test done if you can. Mulch things. Make compost and use it (advise I should take myself. I make compost, but only the bermuda grass and volunteer tomatoes ever seem to use it). Healthy plants grow in good soil, and healthy plants are both less attractive to pests and are better able to handle them if they arise. Second, get used to it. :) It's part of growing things here, but we also have longer growing weather than some areas. You'll need to learn each pest and disease as it comes up, then find the proper techniques and/or substances to apply. There will be overlap for various things, it isn't as bad as it sounds. Growing things is complicated and it really can be an eye opener to the diversity and complexity of the natural world.

Some more specific tips. It's very humid here. Use a further spacingfor plants and use a mulch to keep the roots cool and reduce splash up of unwanted microorganisms onto plants. This can reduce fungal disease and some bacterial ones. Cabbage worms need either Bt or row covers, the latter from the day you plant out. Chasing the butterflies is going to result in the men with the butterfly nets coming after you! :) it is also good for hornworms whom you are likely to encounter any day now.

I guess the third thing is keep coming here! We've either all been through it or are going through it too. Do a search, read old topics, ask new questions. You're doing great, all gardeners deal with pests and disease. It's not something you can avoid entirely by being a better gardener. You just get faster at spotting potential problems and know how to treat them from past experience. And you learn some things that seem like problems aren't anything you can do a thing about, like tomatoes not setting fruit in high temperatures. A garden journal can be very helpful. Cheers!

• PermaProcess
    10 years ago

Hey there,
    I'd agree with some of the other posts and encourage you to start with something easier in your first year! It's important not to get discouraged and grow your knowledge base slowly and surely - going with garlic, onions and herbs for starters is a great idea and perhaps a few more one-time harvests like carrots and potatoes if you're feeling adventurous. Enjoy the process!

Here is a link that might be useful: business and marketing mojo for sustainable farmers

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the replies. I did plant garlic in the fall and pulled it a few weeks ago and it looks pretty good :)

I am worried that with all the disease and pests I will need to not plant the same crop in the same place....and with limited area and sun/shade issues that will be extremely difficult. Will the Swiss chard cercospora leaf spot come back if i plant in the same spot?

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Crop rotation is necessary, not just for disease control, but for nutrient usage, too. Plant your chard in a different place and use a lot of compost in the fall, which will add nutrients. You could also plant a chard here and a chard there, between other plants.

I cut down a lot of trees so I could have a sunny garden, but I live in the woods with hundreds of acres of forest. Sometimes you have to weigh the pros and cons and go from there.

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Oh gosh...I am with you. I just came in from garden maintenance and am rather discouraged myself. Had to pull all the cucumber plants - too much disease. Got a fair harvest but not great.

Killed a dozen horn worms on the tomato plants which are struggling with blight. Planted those from seed - first time - lots of effort there.

Squash plants just won't thrive this year - and then there's the SVB and squash bugs to contend with.

All the pepper plants (about 15) are toast because of the constant rain - a small amount of fruit but that's all. Small and sad looking plants.

So...a bit disheartening but what can you do when the weather is so rainy and cloudy? Last few days have been sunny but the humidity is brutal. 91% at 8 am this morning.

And to add insult to injury, I inhaled a bug whilst in the garden this morning...down the hatch it went...yuck. (That was to make you laugh).

Try not to let it get you down, it can always be worse (like Upstate South Carolina worse).