Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swampgarden

too late for me to replant sweet corn that germinated poorly?

SwampGarden
9 years ago

I got poor germination from a 20' by 20' patch of sweet corn I planted 3 weeks ago, and I'd like to replant if possible. I live in central Minnesota (150 miles NW of the Twin Cities) and my first frost is usually towards the end of Sept. and don't know if there's time. I've got 79 day Honey Select . Honey Select does require isolation. I know it's not right to just calculate the days, because the days does depend heavily on the temperature.

I could leave the corn I planted, but I put it in hills a couple feet apart, and only got maybe 1 seed or 2 germinating in each hill, and some hills none, others 3 or 4, and dunno if the corn will fill out with so few corn plants? If it will be enough for pollination, maybe I won't replant, or just replant part of it if I can.

I did plant a second patch of sweet corn the same size about 9 days ago, and those germinated great, so I'm not totally out of luck and could just plant a ton of rutabegas or something. We put so much effort into our electric fence this year so we can actually have some sweet corn that I really wanted a good crop this year. tx!!

Comments (2)