Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug Id please.

Posted by gmanar 7 CLT-NC/ HZ 7 (goutam.va@gmail.com) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:22

Hi All,

These bugs are all over the place ... on almost everything.
Can you please tell me what they are and how to get rid of them - prefer some organic ways please.

Thanks in advance
Gmanar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug Id please.

• Posted by ju1234 (8 Dallas TX) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 13:04

Are these mealybugs? I don't think I have ever seen these. Can you post a close up of one please.

o

Wow.......that's really weird. Do they have any other color than brown? What plant are they on? A close-up pic would help.
Are they moving, or are they more like eggs? Any adult bugs close by?

o

Kudzu bugs?

o

Yep, I think zackey nailed it. Just google some images of kudzu bugs. Never even knew they existed.

o

We just happened to have it mentioned in my Master Gardener meeting.

o

Do they prefer to feast on kudzu? I hope so!

o

They also make a bad smell if disturbed. They will gather in groups in your house during the winter like lady bugs.

o

Wow, I've never seen these guys before.

o

Lots of funky things are happening, now that man has upset the balance. :(

o

From what I have read, these bugs were imported from either India or China or both. They are not some ordinary bug, native to north america that has been genetically or chemically altered in any way. Nor in any other way man made by our meddling. Just nasty hitch hikers.

o

Good for you, Zackey!

Kudzu bugs are an introduction from India and China, where they infest leguminous plants......as they do here in the Southeast. Look for them on any plant in the Fabaceae family : beans, wisteria, and even kudzu.

The image is misleading because these insects are very small. They are related to stinkbugs, which means that they don't chew plants, but suck their juices.

People have reported them swarming their homes and getting inside to overwinter.

I'd like to see gmanar report the infestation to his/her local extension office. Scientists are trying to keep track of these critters as they find their way to new feeding grounds.

Commercially, they have an economic impact on soybeans.

o

Thanks everyone. Looks like I have Kudzu bugs. They are all over the beans (different types).

Now how do I
1. get rid of them from the garden (any organic way).
2. make sure they don't get into the house :(
3. if possible prepare better for next year
4. report to the local extension office

Thanks for all the help !
Atleast now i have it identified :) - but these seem to be the nasty type - nothing on the internet yet that might work.

Should I just pull out all the beans and not grow beans this year ?

Thanks and regards
Gmanar.

o

Look in your phone book for Dept. of Agriculture. I would hand pick them if you want to be organic. You can put them in a can of soapy water to kill them. Do they fly?

o

They fly and fly pretty fast :( ... so need to figure out another way.

o

Canadian Lori..........I consider anything hitching a ride because of our insatiable appetites for everything made from anywhere part of "meddling". It's a global world, and now we have tons of exotic invasives.....plants, bugs, animals, etc. I think it gets especially bad when the "invasive" comes from a country of similar zones......which for alot of us is Asia.

o

I've read about people vaccumming them off of their plants, but I've never tried it.

o

Catherinet, good grief. The world is a small place.....humans have been swapping consumables for centuries. We have also been moving from one part of the world to another; it's only expected that organisms from one part of the world (where they might not be a pest) becomes introduced to another part of the world (where it might run amok).

Gmanar, can I assume that you are from Charlotte? If so, just type in 'NC Cooperative Extension' (no quotations) into google. That will take you to the home page from which you can find your County Center.

You'll probably find information about the Kudzu Bug in the extension website!

o

I believe diotomaceous earth is considered organic, and controls most insects with a hard exoskeleton including stinkbugs - which are a relative of kudzu bugs. It's worth a try.

o

Maybe I'm reacting from having 35 acres filled with invasives. They are totally out of control here and I do miss our natives. Maybe it will all balance out in 1000 years or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here