Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmanar_gw

Bug Id please.

gmanar
9 years ago

Hi All,

These bugs are all over the place ... on almost everything.
Can you please tell me what they are and how to get rid of them - prefer some organic ways please.

Thanks in advance
Gmanar

Comments (19)

• ju1234
    9 years ago

Are these mealybugs? I don't think I have ever seen these. Can you post a close up of one please.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Wow.......that's really weird. Do they have any other color than brown? What plant are they on? A close-up pic would help.
    Are they moving, or are they more like eggs? Any adult bugs close by?

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Kudzu bugs?

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Yep, I think zackey nailed it. Just google some images of kudzu bugs. Never even knew they existed.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

We just happened to have it mentioned in my Master Gardener meeting.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Do they prefer to feast on kudzu? I hope so!

• frankielynnsie
    9 years ago

They also make a bad smell if disturbed. They will gather in groups in your house during the winter like lady bugs.

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

Wow, I've never seen these guys before.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Lots of funky things are happening, now that man has upset the balance. :(

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

From what I have read, these bugs were imported from either India or China or both. They are not some ordinary bug, native to north america that has been genetically or chemically altered in any way. Nor in any other way man made by our meddling. Just nasty hitch hikers.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Good for you, Zackey!

Kudzu bugs are an introduction from India and China, where they infest leguminous plants......as they do here in the Southeast. Look for them on any plant in the Fabaceae family : beans, wisteria, and even kudzu.

The image is misleading because these insects are very small. They are related to stinkbugs, which means that they don't chew plants, but suck their juices.

People have reported them swarming their homes and getting inside to overwinter.

I'd like to see gmanar report the infestation to his/her local extension office. Scientists are trying to keep track of these critters as they find their way to new feeding grounds.

Commercially, they have an economic impact on soybeans.

• gmanar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Looks like I have Kudzu bugs. They are all over the beans (different types).

Now how do I
    1. get rid of them from the garden (any organic way).
    2. make sure they don't get into the house :(
    3. if possible prepare better for next year
    4. report to the local extension office

Thanks for all the help !
    Atleast now i have it identified :) - but these seem to be the nasty type - nothing on the internet yet that might work.

Should I just pull out all the beans and not grow beans this year ?

Thanks and regards
    Gmanar.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Look in your phone book for Dept. of Agriculture. I would hand pick them if you want to be organic. You can put them in a can of soapy water to kill them. Do they fly?

• gmanar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They fly and fly pretty fast :( ... so need to figure out another way.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Canadian Lori..........I consider anything hitching a ride because of our insatiable appetites for everything made from anywhere part of "meddling". It's a global world, and now we have tons of exotic invasives.....plants, bugs, animals, etc. I think it gets especially bad when the "invasive" comes from a country of similar zones......which for alot of us is Asia.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I've read about people vaccumming them off of their plants, but I've never tried it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Catherinet, good grief. The world is a small place.....humans have been swapping consumables for centuries. We have also been moving from one part of the world to another; it's only expected that organisms from one part of the world (where they might not be a pest) becomes introduced to another part of the world (where it might run amok).

Gmanar, can I assume that you are from Charlotte? If so, just type in 'NC Cooperative Extension' (no quotations) into google. That will take you to the home page from which you can find your County Center.

You'll probably find information about the Kudzu Bug in the extension website!

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    9 years ago

I believe diotomaceous earth is considered organic, and controls most insects with a hard exoskeleton including stinkbugs - which are a relative of kudzu bugs. It's worth a try.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Maybe I'm reacting from having 35 acres filled with invasives. They are totally out of control here and I do miss our natives. Maybe it will all balance out in 1000 years or so.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm