Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No bitter melon fruit.

Posted by aaaaaaaa NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 11:34

Hi,

I have read this before in one of the post--searched but could not locate the exact problem.

I am growing bitter melon in a container. Vines looks quite healthy and happy. There are several flowers, however there is no fruit. Is it because I am growing BM in container or there is any thing else to it. Soil is Miracle grow. Any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks
a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No bitter melon fruit.

The female flowers should follow shortly. Male flowers are borne on a long spindly stem. Behind the female flower there is a tiny bitter melon, less than 1" long.

I have read posts on GW were people waited weeks for female flowers. I think it was the Asian veggie forum.

Something munched off the tips of mine when it was small. I think this may have caused the plant to put out side shoots, where the female flowers are formed, sooner.

o

Look for female amd male flowers as shown in pic.

Pic. of female and male flower of bittermelon.

Photobucket

I could not capture the female flower with fruit.Look for the flower with fruit.This one is a female flower.One without a fruit is male flower.
I am posting male and female flowers of Zuccini just for illustration to distinguish male and female flowers.

Pic. of Zucchini flowers.

Photobucket

Another problem may be absence of pollinators.In this case you may hand pollinate.Pick the male flower (one without small fruit) and transfer the pollon to the near by female flower rubbing flowers face to face.

o

I agree with the comments above. One other factor could be over-fertilization. With too much N, the vines will have lush growth, but few flowers. Bitter melon does best if you fertilize lightly, use slow-release organic fertilizers, or withhold fertilizer until several fruit have set.

The vines also require full sun to produce a good yield.

o

Along with full sun as zeedman has mentioned in above posting BM plants love moisture.I spread hay around the plants to retain moisture.

o

Thanks for your replies guys. Chaman, thanks for photos and explanation. I did notice at least 5 small bm fruits when observed closely.
thanks
a

o

Hi,
Finally, I got about 5 BMs. Now, the new small BMs are turning yellow. What could be the reason? Too much fertilizer, lack of space(because they are growing in pots)??

Thanks
a

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here